May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20140501_104924.png

The Cen-Tech hand held probe sells for $16.99 at Harbor Freight Tools. A far cry from the Whites 120 hand held probe that I purchased for over 75.00 10 years ago. Sure, I am very happy with my Whites, it has been a loyal tool for me and saved me a lot of time in recoveries that would have been missed due to the small size. But for $16.99, I felt I could afford to experiment with a seemingly unknown brand name. Here is what I found.
I purchased the probe and found inside the boxthe probe, a vinyl cover that is also a carrier, complete with a belt loop, and a single 9v battery. The direction sheet shows basic operation of the probe. I inserted the battery and it was ready to go.
The probe is roughly the same weight and size as my Whites. I looked at the features which include a side mount push button, an l.e.d. light, and a sensitivity knob. Putting the probe near a test coin, the probe rang out clearly at an inch. Turning the sensitivity knob, I was able to air test at 2", 3", and finally hit a point where the probe just rang out to basically nothing. So it seems to have a threshold limit. My Whites has no adjustment. The onboard light will illuminate the darkest hole easily. This was a bonus as my Whites doesnt have a light. As a matter of fact, I had to purchase my Whites protective cover for an additional cost.
In the field, I put the Cen-Tech probe to work, and it worked the way you would expect any probe to work. It found the objects effortlessly. There were no issues with the push button, light, audio, or sensitivity.
Again, this probe was definately worth the $16.99 all day long. Hardcore detectorists may put their nose up at this product, but for the money, now the entry level hobbyist can hit the field with a probe on the belt.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please update this after one or two more uses when it stops working.. :laughing7: and needs a new switch.. Yes, for $16 it gets you started knowing full well it won't last but a few days without taking it apart and replacing the switch.

OP
OP
thecolonel

thecolonel

May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please update this after one or two more uses when it stops working.. :laughing7: and needs a new switch.. Yes, for $16 it gets you started knowing full well it won't last but a few days without taking it apart and replacing the switch.

Took it out today as well and so far so good. It helped me recover a colonial flat button. Will try it again tomorrow.

OP
OP
thecolonel

thecolonel

May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Day two with the probe. Worked it even harder today. Helped locate several modern nickels, a mood ring and another colonial button.

ForumRunner_20140502_221433.png

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get it Wet Or Muddy, Especially around the Power Button!! When you can afford A Garrett's Buy One! Put a Plastic Zip lock Baggie Over the Housing where the Power Button Is Past owner of 4 of them!!!! HH Chug P S Getting ready to try White New Pinpointer When The Funds Allow Just to try It Out

OP
OP
thecolonel

thecolonel

May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still running strong. Working it hard. But with reasonable care, it seemsit will last for a long time.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been running mine for a couple months... Just don't bend the probe (antenna) or it will false.. so don't dig around with it like it's a real pointer. Pay a couple bucks for the protection plan and you can replace is almost forever each time it fails! Really I have no complaints. Mine is worth more to me than the $16 I paid for it. The light is REALLY helpful after sunset. Mine is temporary anyway.. just until I can get a good one.

GooniePirate

Oct 25, 2010
Clark County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett ACE 350, Whites 6000DiS3, Jetco Mustang
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used one off and on for 5 years. I had to spray contact cleaner into the switch a couple of times. I also put an old tuner knob on the pot shaft.

Probably about time to get a better one.

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most cheap electronics that I plan on using in the field, I tend to silicone and waterproof the power button and battery casing. I would look at flex seal or other coating. I don't mind taking a risk but I don't want to stop a hunt because of faulty equipment.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using them as backups and secondary for years. I've never had one fail on me. Occasionally when I sell a lower end machine I'll include one and buy another, but they've definitely been worth the money for what they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread