Minelab Safari problems?

Popsfixit

Jul 13, 2014
Boyle county, KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help, or guide me a little in the right direction. I purchased a second hand Minelab Safari this past weekend and have been having a lot of fun with it, digging up all kinds of garbage, but still neat thinking that I may find something cool eventually. At first I think the detector was working correctly, not sure, but I don't remember it doing what it's doing just a few days later. When I start it up, and after I do the noise canceling and start to use it, it will make a lot of random noises while moving it back and forth. Sometimes it will give a noise like it has located something and most time you wave back over it and shazam.....nothing. No noise, nothing. When I do decide to dig, I will set it down and while digging, most times while sitting there it will make random noises as if I was still hunting. It's not near anything and I don't know why it's making all these noises. A lot of times while waving it in the air it will make noises as well. I have checked connections and so on, but I'm at a little lose, making I'm expecting it to be quiet until I find something and I'm being overly paranoid. I have been thinking of sending it off to be looked at, but it being mine for only a week, I hate to do that. I would just like to play with it. I hope someone can give me some insight or advice, thanks...Popsfixit

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you been detecting near saltwater? Also have you removed the coil cover and washed it out with water lately ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Popsfixit

Jul 13, 2014
Boyle county, KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no i've not been near or in salt water, and i dont believe the fellow i bought it from has either. I havent taken the cover of or anything, he has it sprayed with like a bed liner or undercoat or something. Just talked to Minelab tech and he kinda feels like it's either got a bad coil or cable. Was kinda bummed when he said that, i just got it and looking to be pricey and pretty time consuming. Would you folks kind of agree with the tech guy?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has the "Gigantic Stock" coil? I haven't used the stock coil in ages myself. You need to get another coil to find out if the problem is your coil or the detector, if it is only the coil and you are sure I would just buy another coil to replace that "Ginormous" stock coil. Lately I have only been using the CoilTeK Platypus or the WOT 15 (for fields mainly) or the Minelab FBS800 (sniping coil). The good thing is these coils all work on either the Safari or the E-Trac.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread