CTX 3030 coil problem

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
The message on the screen was coil not detected. It would come on after five minutes of detecting. Come to find out where the wire goes into the coil if moved the message will come and go. So I guess this is a broken wire. New problem is new replacement coil is on back order. The ctx was bought new about March 2014. How many people are having troubles with the coils. It is still under warranty. But come on Minelab you build some of the best detectors around. Spend a few more dollars and put some good wires on the detector.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend who has the CTX had the exact same problem. Minelab had him send the coil back, but because of the back order he's been waiting five weeks so far for his coil to be returned. I would think that Minelab would put priority on those existing customers and get their coils returned, but evidently they are having some problems with their manufacturing.

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine just started today I had to stop, I will look into it when I get home. What did u end up doing,

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Its the weak point with most detector coils. Even having a strain relief there, the wire is flexed often and usually were it breaks. This series has two coaxial wires instead of 4 or 5 single stranded wires. I've seen people repair them before but it is a pain

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do a software update sometimes it fails and will give you a "no coil detected" message... If that was the cause then you put the update file on your desktop then slide it over to the 3030 like it is a drive on your computer...

If it is doing it and you haven't done a recent update then it needs to be sent into the Minelab repair center at Kellyco...

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had it for a year and have never done an computer update, should I do one,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had it for a year and have never done an computer update, should I do one,
go to beach mod and look for saltwater setting, if you see it your 3030 is up to date.....

retrospect

Sep 28, 2020
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Simplex
CTX3030
Vallon VMC1
Vallon VMH3CS
Black Projects
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to beach mod and look for saltwater setting, if you see it your 3030 is up to date.....
FIX -- Before somebody comments...yes, I know it's a 7 year old post. This is for those that know how to use google and understand it's limitations but still want to know what's wrong with their coil and maybe how to fix it. My CTX wasn't erroring out but was acting like somebody was running a bad microwave right next to it as I was detecting. The noise wouldn't go away even when checking every channel but cleared up completely with a different coil. I surmised there was a wire that wasn't completely broken but had frayed or was on the verge giving enough inconsistent resistance to make my detector "false". I was faced with either throwing the coil away, sending it in for repair...or attempting to fix it. The first two options really weren't very appealing.

A little bit of solder, some 1/4" kevlar wrap for reinforcing the joint (not especially necessary but I just happened to have some laying around), a few progressive layers of 3/4" marine shrink tube, and in 30 minutes...done. I don't know if I would trust the repair enough to submerge it 10' but should be good enough for another few years of wet sand and beach use.

Diagnosing the problem.
1. Check that the symptoms disappear with a different coil
2. Connect Ohm meter positive to center pin on the bad CTX coil connector and check each perimeter pin with negative
3. Look for inconsistent resistance while flexing the coil wire at common failure points (coil head flex joint / area where wire would enter shaft).
4. Once identified that is your problem, it's time to make the decision to send it in, or operate.

Goodluck!

Attachments

• ctx3030BrokenCoil.jpg
    ctx3030BrokenCoil.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread