Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there. I recently got the 10x14 coil for my sea hunter and the extra weight is making the thing wobble around like crazy, it always had a wobble going but I can really notice it now. Just looking to see if anyone can recommend a good shaft and also what the differences are between a long shaft and regular? Any input is appreciated, surely others have encountered this problem.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
If I remember correctly, these machines did not have a twisting shaft lock. You may be able to buy a kit for this from Garret but may require drilling a hole in the larger shaft for the lock.

There are some guys selling after market ones that slide over the large shaft and are held in place with a locking screw (used to make straight shaft conversions / mods) for ~$10 - 15.

Jeff

OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, these machines did not have a twisting shaft lock. You may be able to buy a kit for this from Garret but may require drilling a hole in the larger shaft for the lock. There are some guys selling after market ones that slide over the large shaft and are held in place with a locking screw (used to make straight shaft conversions / mods) for ~$10 - 15. Jeff
Correct. No twisting shaft lock. Thanks for the info, I'll look further into it. Charlie

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, these machines did not have a twisting shaft lock. You may be able to buy a kit for this from Garret but may require drilling a hole in the larger shaft for the lock.

There are some guys selling after market ones that slide over the large shaft and are held in place with a locking screw (used to make straight shaft conversions / mods) for ~$10 - 15.

Jeff
Ive seen those on E BAY.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Bunnings or other hardware store..... 19mm hose joiner + short piece PVC tube that fit snugly on lower shaft.........remove centre part of hose joiner so it fit snugly over PVC tube on upper shaft........assemble as shown, tighten upper nut and leave locked in place......slide in lower shaft and tighten/loosen lower nut when adjustment of shaft is required......My first one is still in use after 17 years of use...... ivanll ...............................
ShaftLock_400.jpg

OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fix! That's thinking outside the square mate. I ended up making a straight shaft but was a bit awkward so i put the box on hip mount. Haven't had another play but I think it will be a lot better. Charlie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread