Very Sad Today...

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Welll, today hasn't been my day, First I wake up to find that the wooden noise toy from the ceawlspaceI found the other day had cracked over night, due to the humidity, I guess... And to top it all off went out in the cold today and broke another " Jimmy Siara Digger" digging tool... Thats the second one for me since the first of Dec. :P
Don't think I'll use my good diggers in the cold anymore.

Went to a new spot and did find a cheap little Gold plated earring, and a 1983 Canadian penny before the tragidy...

The spot seemed like it might have some potential, so I'll try it again another day...
Hope ya all had better luck then I did...

Attachments

• GPearRing.JPG
    GPearRing.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 723

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Dang Leon, your having a heck of a time with those digging tools. Maybe you should call the company and tell them what's going on, they might be generous enough to send you something.
I'm heading out to hunt myself right now. It's around 75 and sunny. Is it pretty bad back home in Indiana?
xXx

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon said:
broke another " Jimmy Siara Digger" digging tool... Thats the second one for me since the first of Dec.?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? First off Congrats on the Cool Finds ; Second: Can you Post a Pic of this Digging Tool ? Sounds to me like VERY SHODDY Workmenship. i don't care what the Weather , I have a Trawl, I bought 5 years ago, And with the exception of Needing Sharpening every once in awhile from Chopping thru Hard Ground & roots, the Thing CAN'T Break. I think you need to buy your digger from a more reliable source. JUST MY OPINION ; jeff

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah, I'm with Jeff there. If I can get my trowel into the ground, it pops the plug. Gotta hold Jimmy Sierra to his work and send them an email with a photo. But you're still getting the goods and that's good! Nice digs!

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon, I now how you feel about the diggers. I have broken about 4 of them in the past month and its not due to the cold that is for sure. I am in Central Texas, to much mud I guess. Good luck at that spot once you get a new digger and back out to it. Keep it swinging it always gets better as you know.

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
Ok guys...I know how you feel.? Most of the stuff I've seen offered for "digging" tools just won't cut it? (pun intended).? ?Since I make custom knives, I decided to make my own.? There's a heat treating process that can make certain steels so tough, they're virtually indestructible.? Hit the web and do some research on? "L6 Banite" and prepare to be amazed.? Anyway, because of my avocation, I use knives to cut plugs and made myself a stout digging knife that just won't break.? If I had an anvil ( I use the stock removal method to make knives) I would fashion a good narrow trowel that I'd put up against anything out there.? I did some research on one of the popular brand name trowels out there and found they were using a 4100 series of steel that is very tough, but can only achieve a hardness of about 37.? So, though the trowel won't break, it won't stay sharp on the edges very well either.? Everthing's a trade off.? I'm curious, though...just where are these trowels of yours breaking?? at the tip, along the edge, or where the handle meets the trowel??
One other question for those who use trowels.? What thickness of steel is normally used?? I know there comes a point where a thicker gauge of steel would be stronger, but then experience has shown me that the thicker the material in the digger, the tougher it is to push into the ground, so....another trade off.? I'm sure there's a happy medium out there.

Knipper

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mines a WilCoX all Pro, it's 1/16" thick with sharpening still almost 21" long.? the only thing I did to it was Hammerd the side of the scoop so it's shaped closer to U rather then the normal shape & is now Virtually Indistructable. I can DIG, CHOP, PRY anything. as I said, all I need to do is Sharpen it once in awhile. & only cost me about 16 Bucks when it was 22" long at Kellyco about 5 years ago

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Get a Lesche or a Predator digging tool.

The best I have used with a Lifetime Warranty against breakage!!

lesche%20%20digging%20tool.jpg

just my 2 corroded zincs!

HH

Ron (CA)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very True DigginD ; & for the Most Part, I find Detector Manufacturers & Accessory Manufacturers & their Dealers to be the Most Helpful, when it comes to Dissatified Customers.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I find hard to believe is that some of those digging tools list for nearly seventy dollars! I guess they are a very specialized tool and they don't manufacture them by the millions like garden trowels? I found a trowel made out of a hard plastic at Wally World that is nearly indestructable but you can't sharpen the edges. I have more trouble with bermuda grass roots than anything else and can't believe how tough they can get! You gotta' have a sharp instrument to cut through them. I am going to spend some time this summer when I can't get out and detect to design a real practicle digging tool as I find all of them on the market now lacking in some respect. Hopefully I can have it made up for less than twenty bucks a unit by using local small manufacturers. My next door neighbor is in the structural steel business and I'm sure he knows someone of that ilk. Any suggestions for possible design features appreciated. In fact I think I will post a seperate topic to ask.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post it Under Tech Talk Jim

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I have dealt with Jimmy Sierra quite a few times and he is good to work with and helpful with treasure leads I had questions with. ?I would give him a shout and let him know about his diggers and Im sure he will take care of you.

As for diggers themselves, I have been trained to used just a screwdriver. ?From all the time I spent in the local parks where you can't dig with anything larger than that. ?I have gotten pretty good with it and actually prefer it over diggers in most situations.
I think all these elaborate diggers are just a waste of money. ?One small digger and a shovel for big jobs ?thats it. ?Maybe a probe although 98% of the time I dont use mine. ?Probably going to sell it

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,,,
Ya, I'm not sure what the problems with the knife are, I thought I was being careful as I just broke a knife back in Dec. or so...
When it happens, it happens quick,,,
The last time I e-mailed Jimmy Sierra, he was very nice and offered to replace the knife with no questions ask...
I just had to send him my mailing address. He told me then that they had a bad batch of knife wheres the heat treating wasn't done properly... Maybe the new batch is the same, too brittle... I sure hate to bug him about another one, Although I don't think that the 33 degree weather, or the way I was using the knife, should have had that kind of a result...

Here's a pic of both the knifes I broke..

P.S.> Did I put this post under tech talk, or did it get moved. I thought I had it under todays find...
No problem, I was just wondering if I'mloosing it, or niot... ;D

Attachments

• Diggers.JPG
    Diggers.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 537

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU MUST BE LOOSING IT LEON ;D No , actually I moved it ;) I personally think you Should Contact him again, As he Should Be made aware of this continuing problem. :) GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HUNTING ; jeff

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Have any of ya heard of anyone else having problems with diggers... After the second one, I'm wondering if it's me, and I just don't know my own strenth... Again, I never have any problems unless it's cold out side. I've treated thiese knifes very ruff in warmer weather with no problems and after braking the first one, I thought I was being careful ::) . The ground was not hard or frozen, acually it was muddy from all the rain we've had lately. It's got to be something to do with the tempering of the blade.. I think I will e-mail him again to let him know about the problem, but I'm not going to ask for a new knife, or exspect one. Unless maybe he tells me he is still having problems with the manufacture...
Thanks for all the input...

P.S.> I saw the Moved post, post, after I ask...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you'r leaving your digger out in the cold at night, when not using it, I can't see it getting cold enough to snap when using it. Even then, I don't think this could happen. at least not at temps that wouldn't freeze your Blood Solid also. ........... I'm still Rooting for you getting another, from him, after all, I like to know people stand behind their products. ........ I hope your sending him a pic along. this may be a help to the manufacturer seeing exactly where the defect is.? ......... AGAIN, Best of Luck ! ; jeff

R

rvbvetter

I use a "Gator" digger that i've had for ten years. It seems to be indestructible. Hasn't broken and won't bend. And has saw like teeth on one side of the scoop for when a root might be in the way.

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
since both your diggers broke at the same place I would guess a factory defect.They should replace them. Bob

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one diging tool that I think is nearly indestructable. It's a WWII Turkish Mauser Bayonet. I have sarpened one side of the blade. The thing is about 1/4" thick across the backbone. The blade is nearly a foot long for lots of leverage. I ordinarily just use a good heavy garden trowel but when the digging gets tough, out comes the bayonet. I also carry a short ice pick with me in case I hae to attack a frozen Marguirita.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread