Is it a good idea to buy used Routers?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done it in the past several times. It is just like buying anything else used..........the seller's feedback and integrity are primary. You may wish to buy a "refurbished unit". At least with those someone has inspected the unit for proper operating condition. Ask your cable company or ISP for a list of compatible modems.

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While a used router seems to be so cheap, it may not work well long enough for you. Think of it as an investment, more importantly if you will use it on work purposes. I would rather buy a new one with a warranty on it rather than an old and used one. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
C

curiousmind

Nov 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out of budget so I think I'll just stick with a refurbished router. I'll buy a new one after a couple of months. Anyway, I was looking into buying refurbished routers here. Do you know if they are any good? Are they reliable? Thanks for replying!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it is the router? How fast is your internet?

Allenwillson

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not you buy from amazon because you get a router with good condition in low price there as well as you can get a used one there if any person is selling there

Last edited:

davemcc

Sep 11, 2009
Brandon, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CZ-3D, CZ-5
One reason for buying a router new vs used is that an older router has older technology. And what that means is how fast it will stream the wireless data back and forth from your computer. A newer router will be able to handle more data ( or bandwidth ) -as in video streaming to your tablet or phone. So if buying used look for a type of router marked with at least an 'N'. For example.. An 802.11-N router. A,B,G,N...these letters indicate the speed (how fast) a router can transmit wirelessly. The newest speed designation is called "AC" but N routers should be perfect for what you're looking for. A "G" router would still work but, again, it's older and that's where the "slowness" occurs.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a very slow internet connection and I just found out that it is because of the router. So, I was advised to get a new router but I run out of budget and I'm planning to buy a used router instead,, any thoughts on this? thanks!

Yeah, sometimes used router is good to get, because it's already checked if it's okay by connection. Just like I do recently,(deleted by mod rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pickettroy, we do not allow spam, please do not post spam in form of hot link again.

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should figure out where the bottleneck is.
WiFi vs wired
If the router suffers from 'bloat' (reboot usually takes care of it. Typically too much cruft in the NAT & arp tables)

Connect a wired PC directly to the modem (be careful since you won't have a firewall, other then the OS one) and run a speed test (not a flash based but a html5 version, much more reliable)
Back on router, speed test via WiFi and wired and compare.

The one and only virus/malware I've ever gotten (that I know of) in ~35 years was on linux, and it flooded my NAT table. But being able see the NAT table on a consumer router isn't the norm. (I'm using an old Cisco 2851 router)

Kasey01

Oct 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a very slow internet connection and I just found out that it is because of the router. So, I was advised to get a new router but I run out of budget and I'm planning to buy a used router instead,, any thoughts on this? thanks!

Yea there's no problem in that. I've donw several times. Just checkout the proxy settings and firewall configurations before buying it.

Embayment

Sep 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think buying a brand new one would be the right choice since it'll last you in the long run and it is not that expensive.

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to buy a new one but since your budget is low then if you buy a used router just check if it is good or no since of damage.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried logging into the router configuration? The channel you are using may have a lot of users. There's an app on Google Play called WiFi Analyzer. It will suggest a better channel. In the router configuration page, change the channel to the suggested channel. The channels just refer to a band of frequencies.

Verify the connection between the router and modem isn't loose. However you get internet, you can verify the connection between the modem and your internet source is secure. Rebooting the modem and router sometimes helps. You might need a firmware update on the router. I'm sure there's more things to check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread