Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to thinking about the need for a really good digging tool for we detectorists. The ones on the market today although adequate, all have some need for improvement. I am going to try to design something this summer that will meet the needs of most of us and at a reasonable cost. I would love to hear about any features you would like to see in a digging tool. I have some ideas but so many of you have so much more experience than me, I would certainly like to hear from you.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
My idea would be a digging tool that has both a screw driver tip and a digging shovel type piece on both sides..Or one that can be pulled into place...I also think it would be nice if this could be attached to the rod of the detector..so you don't have to take things out of your pocket while working...Everything would be right in front of you for using as needed.I have an idea for a whole new get up for a metal detector....How about a digger with a pin pointer on it so when your digging up know you found it as you dig...Kind of like the hand held thing that you point into the hole to find the exact place of the item..The one thing that aggravates me when detecting is having to carry the the screw driver in back pocket or in hand while digging...or taping it on your self....Why not just have a place on the detector...kind of likewhat a re charable flashlight has on the wall.I slipped once on wet rocks and almost had the screwdriver stab me...Ouch! so I really would like to see a detector that has places to put your digger and screwdriver on the body of the detector.Where it won't interfear with the metal detectors signals.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Okay here's my digging mediums: Old partially decayed asphalt roadbeds, rocky stream and river bottoms, coarse gravel packed with clay or mud, large stoney piles, wooded sites with dense undergrowth thickly rooted or rooted with voluminous thin roots entertwined and tangled.

Well I haven't got to the submerged water sites with silt or sand yet, two very different mediums. Wet sand and mud not submerged, dry sand and hard pack dried mud.

Gravel, cinder and ash road and sidewalk beds. Just about done here. Playground mediums include sand, pea gravel, woodchips, rubber chips, and dirt. General park ground will usually be about the same and the only consideration for the average picnic site-type hunt ground should be the root situation.

Lemme know what you come up with!

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
I made my own plug cutter out of a 1" steel pipe and some pvc pipe. It works like a charm and I will help anyone who wants to make there own with pics and tips. It also doubles as a cane when you got to stand back up. You can drive it into the ground with your foot and cut a nice clear circle plug. You can really get under the grass and pry it up if you have to and it cost $10.00 to make.

Attachments

• tool1.JPG
    tool1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 944
  • tool3.JPG
    tool3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 997
  • tool1.JPG
    tool1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 933
  • tool3.JPG
    tool3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 928

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently coming up with designs for a digger i plan to fabricate. One of the other Welders here, i think it was KenB, posted some wicked stuff he made from Titanium and he gave me some ideas. His Digger was one bad mutha, but too ominous looking for use where i live (NY) if i decided to make one like it. I'm going to use his choice of metal and thickness gauges, but the blade on mine will be braked into a V shape with serrations on both sides and have a hollow handle with a threaded cap that contains a 8" or 10" long X 1/4" diameter coin probe/spike. The end of the spike will be threaded so if not needed you could remove it from the cap and store things in the handle. I think this design would work very well for most coin shooters and i have not seen anything like it as of yet.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts. I think i found what you are looking for. I will see if i can dig up a link. Will get back to you 8)

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a welder and blacksmith I have been thinking for a while to make my own digger as well as the ones I buy continue to brake. I was going to fabricate one out of stainless. As I also make a few knives, I have some extra stainless laying around.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I wish I had them skills fellas, but you know the story, I'm smart in some ways, just don't know what they are yet...

I've found enough RR spikes to pound out into an array of different tools from probes to spades but couldn't cut a fart straight if you know what I mean. Seen some great RR spike knives and such at a couple websites. Those wouldn't do for most of the hard digging because the tough ground still demands leverage, that means size.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts, sounds like what you need is a drill and det cord! ;D Seriously, it appears there is not going to be any one tool to do it all. Some digs are going to be so difficult it is going to take special equipment. What I had in mind was a trowel type instrument that could get you down at least a foot in different types of soil. I was put off to see one such instrument that listed for $69.00 which was nothing more than a long knife blade with a big handle on it! It also appears that I am not the only one who has been thinking along these lines. So, since there are already those ahead of me in the planning, perhaps it would be better for me to share some of my ideas?

1. Material: The blade itself will have to be made of some material that will resist rust and corrosion such as stainless steel, titanium or a plastic polymer. Stainless steel is fairly expensive and often hard to work with depnding on the alloy used. Titanium is very expensive and light weight although quite strong. It is more maleable than steel however and perhaps would not retain its shape or hold an edge if sharpening were required. Plastics are greatly improved and perhaps may be the ultimate answer? It should be of a characteristic that if bent it would spring back or retain its shape after use.

2. Size: It shouldn't be over a foot long for transportation purposes or it becomes unweildy to carry around yet be handy for use. Maybe something could be fabricated that would extend the length as needed? ( interchangeable blades of various lengths, etc)? It shouldn't be too heavy to wear on a belt or carry in the free hand or the problem of transportation and handiness will also arise.

3. The hilt or handle should have a rounded end so pressure can be applied by pushing on it with the palm of the hand and not hurting the hand. (Try pushing a screwdriver through gravel by hammering on the end with the palm of your hand and you will see what I mean)!

4. The blade should be capable of being easily sharpened or touched up in the field. For instance cutting through heavy grass roots or tree roots, cutting a round plug out of grassy soil, etc.

5. It should come with a carrying device or belt scabbard not only to make transportation easier, but to protect the blade of the instrument and the user from the sharp blade.

6. I believe the use of a battery powered cutter/diggerr could be explored such as the concept of the cordless drill only designed to cut or dig. Something along the line of the electric knife perhaps only a little stronger to use an 18 or 20 V battery? This would raise the cost of the instrument but it would probably then be worth it if it worked well.

These are just some of my ideas off the cuff kinda' brainstorming as it were. I like #6 especially and think a hammer drill or similar tool could be used as a basis for the digging/cutting tool?

While I am at it I was wodering what kind of gloves anyone wears? I have noticed that the minerals and grit in some of the soils I have been digging in have a tendency to really tear up my hands.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts, heres a link

The link directly to this multi tool page is not working for some reason, but go here

http://www.eknifeworks.com

and do a search for the Walther Jungle Tool.

The survival kit with it is a bit overkill, but you just might find this handy for some of the tasks you mentioned earlier.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmileo

I wear mechanics gloves that i get from Welding supply. They are fake leather and cordura i think and are washable. They can be used for tig welding and hold up quite well for costing 10 bucks.

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmileo, I use a pair of all leather gloves from Target about $14.00 or so. They have lasted for about 3 months so far and will go quite a bit longer.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I carry an array of digging tools in my toolbox and trunk. Because the mediums do change from site to site and I would never buy any digging tool marketed as the only one I'd need because it simply can't be made. You scoop sand and some gravel, you rake woodchips and some gravel, you dig dirt, pick rocks, and break loosened soil in plowed fields. Cutting rotos can be done with a keyhole saw or a small folding pocket saw or snipped with trimmers/clippers.

But I would like a matched, custom tool set. Yeah, the Brand Lowbatts Toolkit.....

Ah making all those tools might make me rich, but I prefer digging up money and staying poor. Okie dokie! You ambitious folk out there, build a matched toolset with a line of apparel to boot! The duds can be simple, sheath pockets, utility pockets. Shirts and vests along the hunting/fishing line with slight mods for goodies and accessories. Lemme know when you get it done!

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I would like to see one made out of reinforced fiberglass so it didn't set off my detector while I was digging a hole. I use the all metal mode and wave the dirt a little at a time in front of my coil to narrow it down. The damn thing sits there and sings if I get within a 18" or so with the digger I have.

J

Jim Cal

I'd like to see the design for your new digging tool once you make it. I made one out of stainless with a longer handle than the commercially available tools and made sure a rubber handlebar grip would fit the round tube handle. It also has a stainless hanger just beneath the grip so I can hang it from my back pocket instead of shoving all the dirt on the blade into my finds pouch. It too has a "v" blade that is sharpened on both sides and the tip. I didn't do the serration thing but that is a good idea for sawing through roots. I use this tool when relic hunting because it gets a little heavy with the up and down I do when coin hunting. For coin hunting I use the Lesche digging tool with the offset blade which I've found gives more leverage in the black gumbo soils we have around here. Jim Cal

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lesche may be the perfect tool but I have seen it being sold for as much as $69.00! Even a $39.00 it seems a bit much for a fancy garden trowel. Makybe the price will come down as does happen on most products?

J

Jim Cal

Jimmileo, The Lesche is a very well made digging tool and even though it is more money than the other similar tools it is better quality. I paid $35.00 for mine. I got the one without the screw off top because, in my opinion, it is much easier on my hand. Shop around and I think you will find one for a lot less that $69.00. Jim Cal

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
A digging tool that will snap on to the rod of the detector so it is in front of you and always at reachable site! Screw driver also with that same perspective..Something with the idea of a wall charger holder that hangs on the wall!That everthing will not have to be stuck in your pocket or in a jacket pocket etc!!A digger handle that is light built but is strong and won't bend or break and with a small rake on back for pulling dirt out of bigger holes without sharp edges so it won;t scratch up the item...Just basically helps with digging.With an magnetic edge so it brings the items to you instead of putting them farther down in the ground?

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Hey Jim! I used to work for a metal company and learned a lot about metal working, painting, sanding, cutting, grinding, i even could repaint my ouwn car..I have used Duct Tape..... That stuff rocks!and you can paint it too! The paint sticks real good! I did a side of my old car and it sits out younder still looking good like a brand new part repaired..I did that so when I went to ILL, I would not get stopped for a broken front light and dented real bad side panel...Now you can actually bend it and it comes back to shape agian!And the paint still sticks, I used spray paint!I was not going to by a new panel for that junky car!Anyway!I love working with metal!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked upan interesting digging tool over the weekend but haven't tested it yet. I foiund it at Big Lots which is a local thrift store. It is a small garden trowel attached to the end of a collapsable steel pole. It is about a foot and a half long and extends out to about three feet. There is a large rubber cap over the top end where you should be able to shove it into the ground without hurting your hand. I am not very tall and could probably dig a fair size hole without bending over too much. This would save my back some wear and tear. With the long handle you should be able to reach some of those deep targets without making too large a hole as like when you use a shovel. I'll try to give it a "test drive" today and report.

Well, I have seen some interesting ideas here so far. Some are very inovative and some are just a tad nutty too! Ok, how abouit some of you guys that are handy with metal putting some of tose ideas to work?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions