Help Understanding target ID and tones on deep targets

wayne007

Greenie
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any information on what an AT Pro is telling you on deep targets? The ID and tones are self explanatory on good strong targets. However on deep targets I don't know if its a ghost or real targets. For example when if swing over a target I get a single deep and a target ID of 63. If I move around the target I lose it. So is the single beep of 63 really mean its detected something in the 63 region or is it possibilly an iron target fooling the detector? How much can you count on the target ID to be right and be worth digging?

Appreciate any pointers

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have any information on what an AT Pro is telling you on deep targets? The ID and tones are self explanatory on good strong targets. However on deep targets I don't know if its a ghost or real targets. For example when if swing over a target I get a single deep and a target ID of 63. If I move around the target I lose it. So is the single beep of 63 really mean its detected something in the 63 region or is it possibilly an iron target fooling the detector? How much can you count on the target ID to be right and be worth digging?

Appreciate any pointers

VDI's are not real accurate on deep targets. If you get a repeatable target above iron at depth you should dig it especially in an old area. Sometimes you don't get an ID at all. Listen to the tones and dig those deep ones!

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked a new coinmaster gt dectector up and am having issues with depth and VDI. I have only unhunted farmland but cant seem to get a decent dig. My depth say 2-6 then it jumps to 12+. NO matter what I did I cant find a thing. I also have an inline pinpointer thats gets signals, but still nothing. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I could do to get better digs? I've tried both high and low sensitivities...still nothing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked a new coinmaster gt dectector up and am having issues with depth and VDI. I have only unhunted farmland but cant seem to get a decent dig. My depth say 2-6 then it jumps to 12+. NO matter what I did I cant find a thing. I also have an inline pinpointer thats gets signals, but still nothing. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I could do to get better digs? I've tried both high and low sensitivities...still nothing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

You found nothing? Most farms have a target every couple feet of some sort. I would try a coin garden or dig a known target, it sounds like you may have a faulty unit.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt in all metal mode for the best depth. If you are going to use discriminate mode, do not discriminate anything, turn on Tone ID.
You will not get accurate VDI from coin sized targets deeper than 6".
If you have Iron discriminated out, you are probably missing all the iron targets that are typical in a farm field.
Test you machine with full sensitivity it should give you a repeatable signal on a quarter at 10" in the air. If so you are good to go.

Make sure auto track is on and you find a clean spot with no metal and pump the coil up and down over the clean spot about 5 times to make sure ground balance is tracking correctly.
That's about it, the CM GT is a turn on and go and if there is stuff under the coil it will find it..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be several things. Detectors aren't as smart as we chose to believe.

Your AT Pro (assuming it is stock) has a DD coil. That comes with some good news and some bad news. While a Concentic coil has a "sweet spot" in the field shaped like a cone below the coil, a DD lays out a long, narrow "sweet spot" along the coil's central axis like a paint brush. This makes it Great for covering ground and picking targets out among trash, but it has a tendency to "upgrade" iron and some trash targets.

What you can do is, when you get a hit, shift your swing and come at the same target from a perpendicular sweep line. If it hops around a lot it's likely not a coin. Also, lift the coil as you sweep. If it stays at the same TDI number until the signal is lost, dig. If it breaks up or gets "chirpy" as you raise the sweep it's likely not a coin. May be jewelry, however, or some non-ferrous whatchamacallit.

You have to use the audio and the visual. The display is a slower "survey" circuit and has problems with multiple targets in the coil's field. That's why, with a DD, it pays to come at it from multiple directions. You may hear the multiple targets.

I'm not much familiar with an AT Pro, but any detector will have techniques that will improve your chances when you get familiar with them. Sweep speed, settings, etc. That's why, as RobRieman suggested, burying a few coins in a metal free spot of your yard to practice on is a great idea. I have coins and coins near and under trash and nails to practice and experiment. Helps you learn the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread