Nickels

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Because nickels ring up with pull tabs and tiny gold.

Most people ignore pull tabs, which makes you miss nickels- and gold.

If you are not digging pull tabs, you are not digging nickels, which means you are missing the gold.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig the s!#$ out of pulltabs. Lol no nickels and no gold... just pulltabs.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your might be blowing them off as pull tabs. On the F75 I dig nickles when I get a VDI 30-32 constant. I also run 3H or 4H tones so the nickle beeps in as a high tone. My last good permission gave up 169 coins. Only 4 of them were nickles. so I had a 42 to 1 ratio. (3 of the 4 nickles were war nickles). With this in mind the hut came in at 169 to 1 nickle ratio. I recon they just didn't lose as many nickles as other coins. :dontknow:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are there but they are not as prevalent. Every couple of weeks when this subject is posted I say the same thing. Empty your pocket or if married, ask your wife to dump the change in her bag. Make piles of each coin type..
Next time you go to the store and pay cash, look at the change you get back..

Results should answer your question.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true now a days with quarters. In the u 70's growing up I would say pennies as many stores had to cent candy. So 1 piece u get 3 pennies to lose 2 pieces 1 penny.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I trained my mind to stop discriminating out nickels and I started to look for the steadier readings (indicates nickels) versus the jumpy nickel-like readings (I use a CTX and Deus) I started to dig a lot more nickels and doubled my Buffalo nickel count. I rarely get out without finding at least 1-2 nickels. I still dig a lot of pull tabs, but I definitely know when I have a nickel by the readings and sounds, and I oftentimes will call nickels correctly before I dig. I actually went back to some heavy hit spots and found nickels that I had discriminated out in my head. Silver is rare, but easy to find. Nickels and gold isn't as common and not easy to get a handle on to make the dig.

If you having problems throw a few nickels on the ground and practice. I actually bought some Buffalo nickels, older Jeffersons and V nickels and started to check the readings and it really helped me find them when I actually went out to detect. V nickels actually read a little lower sometimes on the CTX than Buffalo or Jeffersons, so it matters to practice on all 3.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually run very little discrimination and I find lots of nickels (and tabs of course).
luvsdux

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got 17 nickels last time out. About half as much as each other coin. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437183673.394002.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do very well with them because I think the other detectorists in the area blow past them when they notch out pull-tabs.

10 here in a typical lunch break hunt. (8 quarters, 14 dimes)

HPIM1408s_zpsb0966992.jpg

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on the site, "They have to be there before you can find them !" said one of my pals :hello2: I think some places instead of giving out quarters on some days make change with more nickels. I have one site that has yielded up 500 nickels at least, and often they are 6 inches deep although some are more shallow.

P.S. Another annoyance is mowed in half square tabs for me they read very close to a nickel :BangHead:

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to do with the tax man also with there 1/4 of a percent sales tax; They always round up. So at 5 cents the tax is rounded up so there in less nickels handed out in change. I tune to dig nickels' :headbang::headbang:my wedding ring rings up like a nickel 14K white Gold my 18K yellow rings like a penny.

That is a wide range so I hunt the nickels' and dig everything else. Take home and recycle my trash. :hello2:

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
Apparently the frequency but I found more nickels when I was using an F2 than with any other of the 7 or 8 detectors I've had.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had an F2 & never got a coin below 4" with correct ID. The coin at 4"that IDed correctly was a nickel! Most detectors I've had IDed nickels correctly from 1.5" to 3" in my moderately mineralized soil. Some detectors ID nickels as tabs when 2"-4" deep & deeper nickels IDed as zinc cent. Other detectors like Fisher CZs ID nickels as foil or iron & the nickel IDs are rusty steel bottlecaps. But when I used the CZ7 in unmineralized dirt in FL, whenever it said nickel, it was a nickel. People should plant nickels at various depths & try all their detectors over them to see amount of error & if high or low. HH, George (MN)

Apparently the frequency but I found more nickels when I was using an F2 than with any other of the 7 or 8 detectors I've had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread