Cellphones and MDs

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you hear your phone squeaking on your machine?

How far off is the frequency?

Mine doesn't seem to make a difference with my GTI, which hates power lines, but doesn't care about cell phones.

BTW, how far is your coil from your control box and batteries?

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really haven't paid much attention to it. I am going to power it all up tomorrow and see if I see any difference. Then move phone back and forth to see if I hear or see anything

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a problem leaving mine on my side while I hunt.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who turns off their phone?

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont. Many times I leave it in the car tho

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
~some folks say that cell phones bother their detectors.

I've not had that problem.

I wear aviation headsets, the Zulu's when flying. My phone makes a noise in the headphones when it pings the tower. It's a fwazeep sound about every minute and a half, so it does send out a stream of electrons.

Not owning every detector out there, I can only say it doesn't seem to bother mine. I've hunted with the phone on, off and in airplane mode. Never makes a difference. It's never closer to the coil than what my belt is.

I can see a problem with it if you are hunting with a two box unit. Then all the metal on your body should interfere with the coil.

Maybe some machines are more sensitive than others?

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Never been a problem with my Whites dual surf PI machine. It does hate power lines though.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have large power lines running across my property and don't have any problems. I did however go to the beach yesterday and the Fisher f75 wouldn't stabilize. It kept reading 90+. I didn't find a thing

Last edited:

Lats

Jan 17, 2015
Westchester, NY
Detector(s) used
White Surf Dual PI, Ace250 with Double D Coil, Stealth 720i Hybrid, Beachmaster, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Agree with TommyB. Never has a problem with my DFPI but I do have to drag my scoop behind me because that gets picked up all the time.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run an ace 350 with a samsung galaxy s4 phone. If i keep my phone in my fron pocket, my metal detector will give me a heads up a few seconds before tecieving a txt message. It goes bonkers bouncing around everywhere with different tones. It never fails. No matter what sensitivity

Whiterook

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my phone on my belt with no problems but I was hunting this weekend at a city park that was also home to the central fire station for the small town. I was approximately 50 meters from the actual station. My AT Pro was going crazy giving all kinds of readings and sounds bouncing all over the place. I turned it on and off several times, changed frequencies, ground balanced several times with no cure. I had just put in new batteries the day before so it wasn't that. I'm not a techie but I assume it was the communication equipment/microwave from the station which is the county's emergency management location. The only thing that worked was to lower the sensitivity 3-4 notches below max. I still found coins. The following day I was back at the park about 100 meters away from the station and everything was normal.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
at one time, I was using a bluetooth device for my cellphone. The headphone cuffs could fit over my entire ear, with the blue-tooth underneath. My wife called. I stopped to answer, while leaving my detector on (no need to turn it off afterall, eh ?). As she & I were talking, I decided to continue detecting, thinking I could detect and talk at the same time. Haha. After a minute, I got a "so-so" signal that needed more investigation. Wasn't locking on, kinda iffy, etc... Of course I had to wait for the phone call to be over, before I could stoop down to dig. Eventually finished the phone call. But before dropping to dig, went over it some more swings, with the cell-phone call done now.

And I noticed an interesting phenomena: When I was no longer in a call, the signal "cleared up". It became stronger, clearer, etc..... Hmmmm. Was it d/t the blue-tooth ? Was it d/t a call-in-progress ??

And another caution: Don't think that just because you don't hear "audible interference", that there isn't possibly still some subtle background interference (and depth loss) that is below audible. Just because you don't HEAR audible cross-talk, doesn't mean there's not interference that is slightly below that which becomes audible.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my metal detector with and without my smartphone, have never had a problem. Ground balancing works well for me. Sometimes I need to change frequencies around heavy duty power lines.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my phone on even when hunting with my GPX 5000.... but i keep it on the opposite side from the detector. DetectorPro now has Grey Ghost headphones with a Bluetooth module built in so you can easily answer your phone while detecting.... it works great and if you carry your phone with you while detecting I recommend it!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run an ace 350 with a samsung galaxy s4 phone. If i keep my phone in my fron pocket, my metal detector will give me a heads up a few seconds before tecieving a txt message. It goes bonkers bouncing around everywhere with different tones. It never fails. No matter what sensitivity

Galaxy series phones and the teknetics gamma 6000 do the same. Without fail. Every time. Anytime text or email is received and often when aps send or receive data. I have to put it on airplane mode to shut it up.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have my phone on in my front pocket and receive calls and text's while hunting with my at-pro and never heard a peep from my machine..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread