OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great question hope someone has input

I have thought about this time and time again but i keep going back to all the components that are in the auto that are subject to the heat daily and do not fail but this is not meant for a car lol.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wrap the coil in a thick beach towel when they have to stay in the Suburban for any length of time.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep it out of the direct sun and it will last just like all the other electronics that are in the billions of vehicles in the world. Direct sun through a window has some wicked power if it's aimed right.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello altereddezignz,

If I have to leave the detector in the car during the summer months, I like Penzfan wrap the coil with a "white" towel and go one step further; by also wrapping the control box with a "white" towel. If it's going to be very warm, I remove the RnB-3100 LI-ion battery pack and take it with me. Seems to work for me.

Regards,

Doc

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing that repeated cooling and heating could eventually crack solder connections.
I'm having a problem with my new Technetics, every once in a while (well, twice now...) it will just go wild and beep like crazy...the only commonality was that I had just retrieved it from a "warm", but not hot, vehicle. :dontknow:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main component that is effected by heat is the LCD screen. Coil would be second as it is all held together with epoxy and expansion and contraction as well has heat and cold can effect the coil winding' resistance as well as spacing . I have experienced issue with cold temperatures below 50 degrees which will make the coils on my Coinmaster GT both stock and NEL over load at max sensitivity. It is fine during warmer weather. Another issue with cold for the GT is the threshold is non adjustable and when the machine get cold the threshold goes silent. So keep it out of direct sun as been said and cover it if you can. Don't store it in a no condition location in the winter.

If you have never seen the inside of a coil here is what the whites 950 looks like from and XLT
EEShells pulled apart.jpg
GGNull wire.jpg

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trunk typically runs a lot cooler than the passenger compartment, on most cars.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to do some testing to see what are of the car is the coolest and what i could possibly do to keep the detector from reaching high temps when left in a car for long periods of time.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave mine in floorboard in back of extended cab truck in a bag out of direct sunlight with all 4 windows cracked. The trunk of cars can get very, very hot in summer months since there is no ventilation or insulation in metal trunk lid.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a cavalier to work every day b/c it gets 33 mpg and i drive a little over 30 miles one way a day so i ahve to deal with a car. The cracking the windows is not a bad idea other than the crazy random Arkansas rains that come out of nowhere without warning.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it was the summer of 2003, and it was 115-degrees in the shade outside the Arrowhead bar in Congress, Arizona, west of Rich Hill. A greenhorn pulled into the parking lot with a Garrett Ace 250 on the gun rack in the back window of his truck, turned off the AC and the truck, went inside and drank beer for three-hours. When he came back out, he saw us all bunched up around the back of his truck looking at his melting metal detector coil and plastic housing.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to a friend that has been hung for years and years. He and another also have owned a detecting store for years also. They say not to let the detector reach over a temp of 120 degrees. Doing this will degrade a lot of the circuitry.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually have my detector(s) cased, on the floor out of the direct sun with the windows open a bit and park in shady areas if possible. So far I've never taken one out that felt more than mildly warm this way even though the vehicle's interior is often quite warm.
luvsdux

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CTX has a storage temperature range up to 150F, according to the manual. I would assume that is not in DIRECT sunlight, which could fry the machine.

Probably a car trunk might be OK. Might want to test it with a thermometer first with the car parked in the sun.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you live at but here as i have tested over 3 weeks recording the temps outside, temp with actual heat index, interior front seat temp, rear seat floor temp and trunk temp. I am from Arkansas so we get pretty warm in summer with a lot of humidity so we have higher heat index temps. On a 95 degree day in a green car the temp inside the trunk is normally over 150. Now i had a friend that allowed me to use broken AT pro headunit and the reading inside that head was almost 25 degrees higher so well over 150 degrees. Needless to say is unless you have cooler outside temps year round i wouldn't recommend leaving your detector in your care on a normal basis. I dont think occasionally it will hurt it.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In general, no it is not good. It is not good to leave any electronics in a hot car because it will destroy the lithium batteries, glue, melt/bend plastic, etc. If I had to I would definitely try to park in the shade and use one of those sun shades which can leave your car like 20 degrees cooler. Having said that people put electronics in the heat all the time and they are just fine. Take an iphone for example - if you leave it in your hot car all day the screen with be black/dim until it cools down and you probably just shortened the battery life but the device will be fine. Then again you only use that phone for about 1.5-2 years...if you plan to keep you detectors for a while I would just avoid it. Water destroys electronics a lot more than a hot car:) Maybe an electrical engineer will chime in here...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would wrap it in a white towel then use those freezable bags and wrap those around the towels over the sensitive parts.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Texas , I wouldnt do it...Im guilty of leaving my (old) AT PRO in the car in the back, and noticed that the screen started separating and ultimately leaked. I have a CTX now, so that thing will go between me and the wifey every night :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread