earbuds with garrett at pro

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading on the Garrett website the headphone or earbud adaptor will only allow specific headphones to shut the internal speaker off.
"OPERATION NOTES: Inserting the headphone plug into the connector will provide sound from the headphones only and will automatically disable the detector's speaker. This automatic speaker-disable feature requires the input impedance of the headphones to be 10,000 ohms or less.
Note that some non-Garrett headphones may not meet this requirement and will require the addition of a 10,000 ohm termination resistor inside the connector to disable the speaker."

Has anyone used this with earbuds and it shut off the internal speaker?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a bit ridiculous.. earbuds are typically 16 or 32 ohms, and head phones are all typically less than 600 ohms. Little bit of scare tactics.. so you buy their products! :-)

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this is the notation on the adapter not on the headphone. It tells you how to make it to where to shut off the internal speaker by using a resister. I had just not seen anyo
ne using earbuds but i would like to.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a bit ridiculous.. earbuds are typically 16 or 32 ohms, and head phones are all typically less than 600 ohms. Little bit of scare tactics.. so you buy their products! :-)

Airscapes is correct. You would be hard pressed to even find earbuds or headphones with an impedance of 10K. That is typically the input to a high impedance line level input to an amplifier and not the output impedance of an amplifier circuit.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airscapes is correct. You would be hard pressed to even find earbuds or headphones with an impedance of 10K. That is typically the input to a high impedance line level input to an amplifier and not the output impedance of an amplifier circuit.
I have no idea lol. I just want to be able to use my earbuds and not the headphones. Or at least a set of headphones that do not hurt my ears on prolonged use.. I would prefer to be able to disconnect my headphones easily b/c i will be breaking my detector apart to put it in a backpack and would like to take the headphones off the unit without having a heck of a time.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea lol. I just want to be able to use my earbuds and not the headphones. Or at least a set of headphones that do not hurt my ears on prolonged use.. I would prefer to be able to disconnect my headphones easily b/c i will be breaking my detector apart to put it in a backpack and would like to take the headphones off the unit without having a heck of a time.

I break mine down to put it into a suit case for travel. I leave the coil and headphones plugged into the head unit and just remove the shaft. If they are both going in the back pack together anyway, wouldn't it be quicker and easier to just leave them attached to the head?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall if the ATp has a volume control, if not you will need an inline volume control for use with ear buds. BTW I always use in-ear phones Etymotic Research | mc5 Earphones

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if I have to use an adaptor and the earbuds will work with an inline volume control then it won't be much of an issue bc the adaptor will stay connected all the time and when I use waterproof headphone and of course that won't be to often I won't mind taking the connector loose to connect the waterproof headphones.

Yes it probably would be easier to leave all connected and together to break down to put n a backpack realistically.

Whiterook

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never liked the way the head phones stay connected to the AT Pro nor that the headphone cord runs down towards the ground. I use the Garrett adapter which lets me use the headphones with the 1/4 plug so I can unplug them fast and easy when I transport. In the summer I have a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, then a volume control, and then ear buds. It sounds like a lot of confusion but it's not too bad and works just fine. It gives a lesser quality tone that you have to get used to but it is much cooler on those hot days in Texas.

Joshbiz

May 2, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello altereddezignz,
I wanted to tell you I got my AT pro to work with my Apple Ear buds. They are so comfortable and not hot like the headphones that come with it.
this is what I did, I bought a Garrett 1/4" headphone adapter and then a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter then to a Monster iSplitter 1000 headphone splitter (Because that has a volume adjustment on it)
And this works great. It is a bit long but once I wire tie it down it works great but I do have to change it when I water hunt.
With the volume I think you can use any 3.5mm volume adjustment you could find.
Josh

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
I purchased a non Garrett adapter for regular headphones on eBay and a reducer for ear buds at Radio Shack and now I can use any headphones or ear buds. It works great. Even with the stock headphones I always detect with one ear uncovered so the I can hear what else is going on around me. To me it is too risky to be out in nature with your sense of hearing totally obstructed. Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread