Building a Li Ion battery pack for a Whites TDI SL?

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've been looking into making a 14.8 volt Li Ion battery pack for my tdi sl. I think I found some good batteries to use off amazon and they say they are protected. I'm just wondering from you folks that know more than me if that means I wont have to get a PCB board to prevent them from overcharge and undercharge? Here's the batteries I'm thinking of using:

http://www.amazon.com/3400mAh-PROTE..._sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TFTKA9Y9GPC3FYRHZRY

From the description of them it would seem redundant to add a PCB board but I'm not to sure. This is the only PCB board I could find to add to the circuit if I need to:

Protection Circuit Module (PCM) with Equilibrium Function & Fuel Gauge for 14.8V Li-Ion Battery Pack at 10A limit

I'm also wondering what charger and plug I should use and was hoping for some recommendations. I'll be using the 8 aa battery pack for the housing for this. I got the idea from reidman's post in this link and am wanting to build a similar battery pack:

Batteries and the TDI SL - Page 2 - Detector Prospector Forum - DetectorProspector.com

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well in case anyone was interested, not sure how many would be because I got no replies for my question lol, here's what I ended up doing.

I got these batteries because I was unsure of using the ones I listed, they aren't protected at all which was a good thing because I had a hard time making them fit in the tdi sl battery case, the ones I linked in the op are slightly larger because of the protection circuit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C26OWGS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I also used this protection board that I found that looks to be the same one in the link above from the battery I'm trying to copy, its smaller than the first one I had found and that was again a good thing as it was hard to fit everything in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYYLY9U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Go figure I found the battery I'm making was listed on ebay again by the guy that makes them in my ops link haha but it was a fun project anyways. I can't say for sure if it made the machine a bit more sensitive or not but from what I've read it does. My main purpose was to have a battery that stays at optimal voltage for the entire time out detecting, I should have about 6 hours on this battery pack and it wont drop below 12v the entire time.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the Reidman battery pack. The other day I detected for 2 1/2 hours, and when I checked the voltage it was still 15.64v. One thing you can do, to extend the life of the pack, is not charge to more than 16 volts. By keeping the charge voltage below 4 volts/cell, the cells last longer.You only lose about 15 minutes of use compared to charging to the full 4.2volts/cell, or 16.8 for the pack, but the life of the pack (number of charge/discharge cycles) is lengthened by as much as 50%.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to mention....Reidman uses the White's pack, but has thinner top and bottom plates. That's the only way those fat L-ion cells will fit in the pack.
Jim

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep I kinda copied his battery pack, that's his post I linked in the op. I Had to use 1/16th abs sheeting and cut the bottom off the whites battery pack to get it to fit. I'll have to mess around with my charger and see how long it takes to get to 16v. It's supposed to be a smart charger but it cuts off at 16.8 v.

I wanted to buy one of his packs but he sells them as he makes them I believe and there were none for sale until I finished my project haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions