The Future Of Metal Detectors

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Since the start of the year, I've been doing a lot of hunting around the web, trying to educate myself about metal detectors and "nugget hunters". In so doing, I've taken information I had about other technologies and tried to see if they could be integrated into improving this technology. I'm no scientist, or electronics engineer, but when I see two or more established products that could be joined to enhance the ability of one or the other, I see potential for improvement.

I've already posted some of my ideas on GeoTech, such as that related to using multiple Tx and Rx coils to provide a directional indication of a find.

-------------------

Another idea I had was to help with pinpointing, by one of two methods.

The first method would involve having a narrow hollow tube that extends from under the center of a MD's coil, (and perhaps "through" the coil itself), to a container of colored chalk. When a target is found, the person causes a small amount of the chalk, to be dispensed at the spot where the signal was obtained. When X'ing the location, four small chalk marks would give a good idea of the spot, (X marks the spot).

The second method, would use a hard non metallic rod that would be manually triggered, by mechanical means, to "scratch" the ground under the center of the coil when a target is indicated. The trigger would be located near the hand grip of the operator.

The above, are just simple ideas I had that would be low tech and no major expense would be involved in their implementation.

-------------------

The following idea is aimed at the metal detecting industry.

As the shift continues to "graphical" representations to help MDer's locate items of value, I naturally assume that "head mounted displays" and "video glasses" will soon be incorporated as accessory items for MDer's. These displays are rapidly becoming more affordable and with additional advances in "imaging" of targets, their value in determining the potential of a target, will increase. Links to the use of these devices in controlling RC. (Radio Controlled), planes and other vehicles are here:
http://igargoyle.com/archives/head_mounted_displays/

Links to other "head mounted displays" and "video glasses" can be found here:
http://www.made-in-china.com/produc...ed+display&comProvince=nolimit&code=0&x=0&y=0
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...=offer_en&OfferType=SALE,AGENT,MISC&PostTime=

Various attempts have been made to incorporate a "visual" interpretation of a metal detectors signal, into a graphical form, but as you know, these attempts generally involve either a detector mounted display, or a hip, or chest mounted display that can be difficult to monitor depending on a variety of factors. There have also been efforts to display the audio "tones" graphically, in a manner similar to a graphic equalizer with scrolling LED display.

Using the types of displays in the links above, would allow a person to focus they're attention on the surroundings and on the graphical indicators being conveyed to them via a head mounted visual display. Now imagine your MD has a single Tx coil surrounded by 4 Rx coils that could be displayed in 4D video? You would be able to see, (via your display), the direction of the target, from the center of the Tx coil. You would see a much more accurate portrayal of the depth and size of the object, and be able to detect more than a single target at one time. And with numerous small coils in the form of an array, such as those used on microwave arrays, true "imaging", such as obtained with magnetometers and other imaging technologies.

Just my thoughts on the matter, on another rainy day. ;D Good luck out there and safe detecting everyone!

F.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The German company OKM Ortungstechnik already has combined its ground radar and metal detectors with video eyeglasses to speed up detection and do away with the need for a linked laptop that was necessary to produce 3 D images with their earlier models.

Brian

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
U.K. Brian said:
The German company OKM Ortungstechnik already has combined its ground radar and metal detectors with video eyeglasses to speed up detection and do away with the need for a linked laptop that was necessary to produce 3 D images with their earlier models.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Didn't know that. I'd seen that company name, but when I saw some pricing of theirs, I didn't stick around. Pretty much everything I have is patched together, but hopefully someday I'll be able to buy the new toys with all the bells and whistles.

F.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Functional said:
Since the start of the year, I've been doing a lot of hunting around the web, trying to educate myself about metal detectors and "nugget hunters". In so doing, I've taken information I had about other technologies and tried to see if they could be integrated into improving this technology. I'm no scientist, or electronics engineer, but when I see two or more established products that could be joined to enhance the ability of one or the other, I see potential for improvement.

I've already posted some of my ideas on GeoTech, such as that related to using multiple Tx and Rx coils to provide a directional indication of a find.

-------------------

Another idea I had was to help with pinpointing, by one of two methods.

The first method would involve having a narrow hollow tube that extends from under the center of a MD's coil, (and perhaps "through" the coil itself), to a container of colored chalk. When a target is found, the person causes a small amount of the chalk, to be dispensed at the spot where the signal was obtained. When X'ing the location, four small chalk marks would give a good idea of the spot, (X marks the spot).

The second method, would use a hard non metallic rod that would be manually triggered, by mechanical means, to "scratch" the ground under the center of the coil when a target is indicated. The trigger would be located near the hand grip of the operator.

The above, are just simple ideas I had that would be low tech and no major expense would be involved in their implementation.

-------------------

The following idea is aimed at the metal detecting industry.

As the shift continues to "graphical" representations to help MDer's locate items of value, I naturally assume that "head mounted displays" and "video glasses" will soon be incorporated as accessory items for MDer's. These displays are rapidly becoming more affordable and with additional advances in "imaging" of targets, their value in determining the potential of a target, will increase. Links to the use of these devices in controlling RC. (Radio Controlled), planes and other vehicles are here:
http://igargoyle.com/archives/head_mounted_displays/

Links to other "head mounted displays" and "video glasses" can be found here:
http://www.made-in-china.com/produc...ed+display&comProvince=nolimit&code=0&x=0&y=0
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...=offer_en&OfferType=SALE,AGENT,MISC&PostTime=

Various attempts have been made to incorporate a "visual" interpretation of a metal detectors signal, into a graphical form, but as you know, these attempts generally involve either a detector mounted display, or a hip, or chest mounted display that can be difficult to monitor depending on a variety of factors. There have also been efforts to display the audio "tones" graphically, in a manner similar to a graphic equalizer with scrolling LED display.

Using the types of displays in the links above, would allow a person to focus they're attention on the surroundings and on the graphical indicators being conveyed to them via a head mounted visual display. Now imagine your MD has a single Tx coil surrounded by 4 Rx coils that could be displayed in 4D video? You would be able to see, (via your display), the direction of the target, from the center of the Tx coil. You would see a much more accurate portrayal of the depth and size of the object, and be able to detect more than a single target at one time. And with numerous small coils in the form of an array, such as those used on microwave arrays, true "imaging", such as obtained with magnetometers and other imaging technologies.

Just my thoughts on the matter, on another rainy day. ;D Good luck out there and safe detecting everyone!

F.

Man GREAT idea on the for recieve coils.........Are you manufactures listening to this...........Wow, hell of a thought...That would give superb imaging if you had enough processor power to handle it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread