Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, as many of you know, the Deus has a function in the configuration settings called "Normalize ID". I think that's what it's called anyway. Too tired to go look, at the moment.

It basically takes the ID numbers in whatever frequency you're hunting in and displays them as if they were 18 kHz numbers.

My question then is this -

If you have a range notched out, like say 0-30 and you're hunting for gold rings in 18 kHz, this would work just fine.

But if you were to lower your frequency to something like 4 or 8 kHz, gold rings might fall into the notch area and you would miss those targets because the ID of targets gets lower as you lower the frequency.

But if you turn on the Normalize ID function in the configuration, will it still notch out those targets? Or will it act like those targets had the same ID numbers as if they were in the 18 kHz setting and let them through?

I guess what I'm asking is does the Normalize ID actually change the ID numbers for a target to those of the 18kHz frequency or does it just display them as if they were in the 18kHz frequency?

I've seen a few programs that utilize the notch feature, but if I change frequencies, I wouldn't want those programs to suddenly start filtering out good targets because the numbers shifted on me. If I turned on the Normalize ID function, that would prevent this from happening, no?

I hope I've explained my dilemma adequately. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is not apples to apples but the Whites products have the same function. You are notching the VDI number. So if 0-30 is ignored (speaking of how whites works of cours) then those numbers are ignored in what whatever frequency you are using. I would Assume this is true with yours, after all the numbers are number not gold or silver just a conductivity scale in the frequency. The machine has no idea what the metal is just that the phase and voltage is x number within the total range.
This is why they give use the Normalized numbers so you don't have to remember what the particular target come in at for every possible frequency you happen to use. Also so the guy that used the standard frequency for years can use the newer multi frequency machine right of the bat without learning anything new.
Hope that is helpful an applicable.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seams like it would be an easy test for a Deus owner. Swing over something with a know VDI, notch it out so its gone, normalize it and change frequencies and see if it's still notched out.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seams like it would be an easy test for a Deus owner. Swing over something with a know VDI, notch it out so its gone, normalize it and change frequencies and see if it's still notched out.
Great idea, Rob. Think I'm about to fire up my swingy stick and try it.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I tried it.

I took a clad US quarter and scanned it at 18 kHz. It rang up at 94-95.

I then dropped the frequency to 8 kHz and it rang up at 89.

I notched out from 1-90 and rescanned at both frequencies. It effectively killed the signal at 8 kHz. The signal was still loud and clear at 18 kHz.

I then normalized the ID.

Rescanned it in 18 kHz. Loud and clear at 94-95.

Rescanned it at 8kHz. Again, loud and clear at 94-95.

Hmmm... this has some very interesting implications.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically, if you were interested in hunting only for coins due to time restraints or for any other reason, you could notch out everything under vdi 80, turn Normalize ID on, hunt the area in 18 kHz, switch to 8 kHz and rescan the area, and even though you shifted frequencies, nothing would have fallen into the notch area that wasn't already there before.

I like it! :)

Keep On Diggin

May 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta, Eurotek Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting experiment. I'm not familiar with the Deus at all and I'm just curious to ask, "Can the Deus detect in both frequencies at the same time?"

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So basically, if you were interested in hunting only for coins due to time restraints or for any other reason, you could notch out everything under vdi 80, turn Normalize ID on, hunt the area in 18 kHz, switch to 8 kHz and rescan the area, and even though you shifted frequencies, nothing would have fallen into the notch area that wasn't already there before.

I like it! :)

Thanks for asking & answering this question for me!! I was just wondering the same thing this afternoon! That is excellent news.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread