Whats the !!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience has been cheaper batteries start leaking. I'm of the opinion you get what you pay for.

Rechargeable batteries for me is too much trouble. jmho

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright thank you

Thought you'd got more replies.

I guess you could use any batteries, but always take them out at end of day. Even the best will leak and destroy electronics fairly quickly.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The others are lead/acid and can mess up circuitry. Might add a battery called "Heavy duty" is lead/acid. To the best of my information.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried rechargeable batteries again over the weekend, I was reminded why I dont like them. They're bigger in size and just too tight in my detectors, feel like I'm going to break something.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll second what Steve said. I tried to be all green and stuff and switched to rechargeables for my pinpointer and Coinmaster. I ended up putting duct tape pull tabs on the ones for the pin pointer so I could pull them out. I also filed a couple notches in the bottom so they would hook into the Coinmaster okay.

But they seem to work okay other than the physical size of the battery being a little larger.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone compared dollar store batteries against the name brands that cost 7x as much? I've been using dollar store batteries, and I get about 6 hours out of them before the discrimination starts to act weird. (High tones on things that shouldn't be high tones.)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 9 volt alkaline batteries, and carry spares. They seem to last longer for me and then into the recycle bin. Sometimes it only takes me two consecutive days of digging to run the batteries dry, so never a possibility of leaking.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone compared dollar store batteries against the name brands that cost 7x as much? I've been using dollar store batteries, and I get about 6 hours out of them before the discrimination starts to act weird. (High tones on things that shouldn't be high tones.)

I use the DollarTree alkaline all the time....

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The others are lead/acid and can mess up circuitry. Might add a battery called "Heavy duty" is lead/acid. To the best of my information.

AFAIK, all 9V batteries fall into three categories: alkaline, rechargeable (old NiCD or newer NiMH) or lithium (you won't buy these by accident, they're like $9 each.)

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AFAIK, all 9V batteries fall into three categories: alkaline, rechargeable (old NiCD or newer NiMH) or lithium (you won't buy these by accident, they're like $9 each.)

The cheap 9v at harborfreight are zinc chloride, the same as their AA batteries that leak. Which category is that?

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm... I was totally unaware of zinc chloride chemistry. That's probably what I've been using, although I don't think they're labeled as such.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... I was totally unaware of zinc chloride chemistry. That's probably what I've been using, although I don't think they're labeled as such.

I just wanted to get out there the zinc chloride ones leak real easy.

Just found this, seems the difference is the electrolyte used and their construction. Alkalines can be zinc but they do not have the chloride in them.

Difference Between Zinc and Alkaline | Difference Between

It says the leaking is because of the big difference in body housings of both types.

I learned something, interesting......only buy alkalines! At least because of the way they are constructed, they are much less prone to leaking.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the DollarTree alkaline all the time....

I agree 9V Panasonic Alkaline Plus Power the ones at DollarTree AND came with my Tesoro detectors all the way, once your done with them recycle them and they are not rechargeable like some idiots are trying to do on the internet once there done they are done throw them away or properly recycle them! I use 4 AA Duracell in my Garrett they are great as well if you can find a good deal on these to as they seem to last long as well.

Last edited:

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my new price/performance sweet spot with the Amazon Basics alkalines that come like 18 to a box.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what i use in the detectors. Energizer rechargeable batteries 003.JPG and Rayovac rechargeable batteries 006.JPG

And i recommend these battery chargers batteries 002.JPG batteries 004.JPG batteries 005.JPG Also these 9 volt Tenergy rechargeable's. I use in one of my detectors and in the smoke alarms.

Now this set of Rayovac batteries i had put in an old model Rayovac charger and they bubbled all over the place and were a little hard to get in the Etrac battery holder but work fine. these batteries are 10 years old and still last over 8 hrs in the Etrac. batteries 008.JPG

batteries 001.JPG batteries 009.JPG * rechargables cost around $20.00 with coupon. Some of them i got off ebay and all the chargers came off ebay.

So if i had used the cheep batteries the last ten years i would not be able to buy a new Etrac .I might of went through $100.00 worth of cheep batteries a year.
But i made the right choice from the start. Them old batteries cost money just to haul them to the recycling center and gas every time you run to the store to buy new ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread