Two different Tesoros now look OK, still need help choosing

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
I have narrowed it down to a Cortez, as I like the Visual Target ID system( I think ) :D
Or a Vaquero. I like the thought of having a Detector that is so versatile.

Please, can someone give me some impressions they may have of these?

--------original message follows----------

I have been looking for a couple of weeks, and I have decided that I will buy one of three Tesoro models.

I like coinshooting, and relic hunting. I live in WA state and dont remember much mineralization where I hunt. I am undecided on whether I need the manual ground balance or not.

I really like the idea of a target id screen. but from using my old Garretts deepseeker I know that you do learn the tones after a while.

I want light weight, ease of use, probably need the visual indications since I am hard of hearing as a result of military duty.

#1 requirement would be light
#2 easy to learn
#3 excellent iron discrimination
#4 Excellent depth
#5 possible use in gold bearing area

I have been looking at the Deleon, the Vaquero, and the Cortes.

I would be grateful for any and all information you guys can give me on this as to your recommendations.

Grant

R

rvbvetter

Re: Three different Tesoros look OK, need help choosing

Try this site www.metaldetectorreviews.net It's where actual owners of their respective brand and model of detector rate theirs on a 1 to 5 star scale. And say why. Not some payed employee. All the brands and models of each company are there and reviewed. 5 Star being the best. Hope this helps

R

rvbvetter

Each brand and model have multible owner reviews.

OP
OP
G

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005

Thanks for the replies so far :)

OP
OP
G

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
I guess what is making it so hard for me is the Cortez is used, and the Vaquero is new. Normally the new one would win hands down. In this case the warranty is so good it really doesn't matter about the new as long as it's not dinged up..

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Tesoro's are excellent. Just make sure you can really read the screen! Both the cortes and the deleon I wanted but when I really held it in the hunt position, I couldn't tell what the ID was showing.Check new the garrett 250 for target ID.Both the Vaquero and Cibola are good.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Warsaw has an excellent point on being able to see the screen on the Cortez. I use one and finally resorted to a light scuffing of that area to knock down the glare...works good now, especially at dawn/dusk/night when you use the light.

Here's my take on the Tesoro's. I use three of them; Sidewinder, Cibola and Cortez. Each have their pros/cons. The Cortez ID system is just a guide, it's exceptionally accurate in non-trash areas but put a few metal objects together and it will read them all. The "sum" feature will make an educated guess but it's often inaccurate. I will aslo applaud the depth readings, they are generally good. The Cortez is heavier than the other two and it does stress my arm after a few hours.

The Cibola is absolutely awesome for coinshooting and does a damn good job discriminating iron and nails. At half the cost of a Cortez, I would have bought two Cibola's had I known. I've only used it about a month so I can't say much for it's relic ability but this has turned out to be a fine machine.

Both and simple, turn on and go, gotta love that.

I won't mention the Sidewinder since it's not a possibility for you.

OP
OP
G

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Well, that made up my mind, thanks for the input.. The only reasonI was looking at the Cortez was the screen. Since I seem to be needing different glasses every year or so any more I will go with the Vaquero... Thanks for the input. :D

OP
OP
G

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Heh, even after I made up my mind I found it wasn't made up :) I finally ordered a machine, it is the Tesoro Cibola.. I decided that since I am just getting back into it I wanted somethign a little easier to use.. If I feel the upgrade bug rolling around at the end of the summer or so then I will start this all over again :)

Can't wait for it to get here :)

R

rvbvetter

No!!! Not the Cibola!!! Kiddin. I've heard good things about it. And the reviews on that site i left, are all positive. I think you picked a winner. Let us hear of your finds. Enjoy HH

M

minelabex1000

I haven't read all the postings so this comment may be of little or no value.

Anyway, recently I nearly purchased a new Cortez. I'm primarily a minelab user but an experienced treasure hunter tried his best to convince me I should try the Cortez. I may do that sometime in the future, but for now, I'll stay with Minelab.

My firend told me two interesting things about the Cortez.

Plus side
1) They are supreme for working areas where there are a lot of "hot rocks."

Minus side
2) The target ID is difficult to read and needs improving

He also said the depth rates with the best.

This is just what I was told. This came from a man with a great deal of experience with all the top brands being produced today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread