Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If your hunting the Jersey Shores I'm guessing you hunt the wetsand. Easiest way is to get a matching set of (M/F) IP68 fittings and cut, splice these in... Heard good reviews on the ones on ebay. If you do cut the NEL coil cable cut the jacket off the cable then one by one do the match up from the sovereign connector to............. red pin 1, black pin 2, white pin 3, yellow pin 4. That would be the easiest way. If your hunting in the saltwater I'm not sure how well those ebay ip68 connectors are in the deep, and they are from the Ukraine so it will take a few weeks to get them. .......... Good Luck...

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If your hunting the Jersey Shores I'm guessing you hunt the wetsand. Easiest way is to get a matching set of (M/F) IP68 fittings and cut, splice these in... Heard good reviews on the ones on ebay. If you do cut the NEL coil cable cut the jacket off the cable then one by one do the match up from the sovereign connector to............. red pin 1, black pin 2, white pin 3, yellow pin 4. That would be the easiest way. If your hunting in the saltwater I'm not sure how well those ebay ip68 connectors are in the deep, and they are from the Ukraine so it will take a few weeks to get them. .......... Good Luck...

thanks for the reply. Prior to your post, I was stupid enough to cut the connector off of the NEL coil, expecting there to be 4 wires to match up with and solder to the excal but come to find out its a coaxial wire :BangHead:. I haven't touched my excal yet, what do you think my next move should be? There is such limited info on the web for this

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
separate wires and post a picture so I can see.. if you have the nel with 4 black wires they are numbered, just have to get out the mag glass. If you have the one that has two wires then a shielding cover over each it will be a little tougher work. Post a pic if you can...

the good is you can wire it wrong and nothing get damaged but it won't work or wont work correct..

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464462767.015473.jpg okay that is a relief that it won't hurt the machine if I get it wrong, it'll just not work properly and the wires can be rearranged

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume with an ohm meter, one coil is quite a bit more resistive than the other?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have a ohm meter? It would make it a little easier....if so let me know and I can give you info on how to figure each out...Also

Let me look thru my files on this also, seems I have a starting point for you if you don't have a meter.

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
New NEL 15'' DD BBS coil for Excalibur

I don't have one, but am planning on picking one up at the store tomorrow morning after I get off of work at 7am. It looks like one of the insulated wires is a little larger than the other. Thank you for all of your help!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wiring colors on the Nels are constantly changing so don't count on the colors being accurate...

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Just did the install today and works perfectly. One downside is that the threshold has to be turned down almost all of the way on the excal in order for it not to give false signals. You can't detect with a slight hum like with the stock coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did the install today and works perfectly. One downside is that the threshold has to be turned down almost all of the way on the excal in order for it not to give false signals. You can't detect with a slight hum like with the stock coil.
Yes you can if done right, I have 2 excals, both have 15" coils, one is Detech 12x15" the other is WOT,I can adjust threshold from loud to soft to faint to barely audible on both detectors.

My hunting partner Dave has Nel attack his is adjustable just like mine, my other partner Dan also has excal with Detech 12x15 his is adjustable just like mine as well....

Tuning the excal isn't just adjusting the threshold, it is combination of adjusting both the sensitivity and the threshold to the perfect levels for the conditions of the beach your on at that moment....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
tj..... Sorry for the delay, I missed your above post. After reading I am almost sure you have the TXA / TXB backwards. Try and swap the two and see the results. A few years ago someone put out the wrong wiring diagram for the SEF's and many were wired wrong. And they had the same issue, falsing and Pinpointing dead center was not in the center, it was on the outside of the Double D coils, they would null in the center instead of reporting the target. Make sure you set the machine in PP when testing......center should be HOT>>>>So swap those two wires around and see what happens...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread