excal volume pot damage

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not my machine but considering buying because price is right, but the volume pot is broke lol. Any thoughts on this? never seen one broke off like this. Thanks
20160718_115536.jpg 20160718_115605.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Costs $10 for the pot and about $75 labor at Minelab Repair Center, there could be other problems on board also so get it checked out before you put it in the water..

OP
OP
Introfiant

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a portion of the board was torn off. The layer that the electricity runs through, looks missing. I don't see them connecting to the points on the pot. It's a mess.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a portion of the board was torn off. The layer that the electricity runs through, looks missing. I don't see them connecting to the points on the pot. It's a mess.
If traces are bad you can use jumpers to correct that or you can replace the motherboard...

OP
OP
Introfiant

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea, thanks but I think I am gonna save myself the aggravation and skip buying this machine, even for so cheap. I just worry it's a can of worms.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what you can get it for and if the other components are good such as good coil, headphones, power supply, if it includes charger adapter.

OP
OP
Introfiant

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$475.00. Originally he was gonna sell it for 350 and I said ok how can I pay you. But he never would commit to how I could pay him. Was annoying and he kept messing with the machine and now says it's working but the volume doesn't adjust. I just gave up. after shipping charges, and then shipping to kellyco, and the what if's, I figured it's a headache. Already have one after dealing with this guy.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you did the right thing, let someone else worry about it.. winter is a good time to get a water machine. Minelab puts a hot glue on the board and pot to stop what happened to that one, guess he got a little carried away.

OP
OP
Introfiant

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OBN. Been looking for a lower cost stock machine to keep stock for hunting in the sound water and having as a back up. Right one will come around. It always amazes me when someone sells an excal will all but one knob broke off. Guess they don't want to replace them. But why in the first place are they over twisting every knob lol. First sign of abuse, no knobs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread