powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those experts out there. My dad and I both have new Spectra V3's. We went to the beach and hour ago and went in separate directions. We had it on beach mode with salt compensation turned on. The detectors were going crazy. They were beeping nonstop. The graphs and numbers were all over the place. We shut down and went home. I was concerned the detectors were broken so tried them on the front lawn hoping they would act normal. Nope, still the same. Then I noticed a super cell heading our way. What do you think? Could something be wrong with the detectors or were they picking up on the charged ions in the air?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CIA is following you and your dad. It's their eavesdropping equipment. Seriously. 8-)

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for participating.

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
For those experts out there. My dad and I both have new Spectra V3's. We went to the beach and hour ago and went in separate directions. We had it on beach mode with salt compensation turned on. The detectors were going crazy. They were beeping nonstop. The graphs and numbers were all over the place. We shut down and went home. I was concerned the detectors were broken so tried them on the front lawn hoping they would act normal. Nope, still the same. Then I noticed a super cell heading our way. What do you think? Could something be wrong with the detectors or were they picking up on the charged ions in the air?

I believe this happened to my T2. It got very chatty as a storm approached from the south.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
No. I suppose anything is possible, but I never had storm interference. I have hunted in electrical storms at the edge of a front, seemed to make objects in the ground more detectable, imo.

If the machine is working properly, and the coil connection is good, it sounds like the RX is too high. Start with low RX and work your way up to unstability.

You may have had emi on one frequency too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes electrical storms can affect detectors...

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI is what I think it was. I'm going to try it again in the morning

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those curious, this is what was on the way. Lol
1c89448506ce13e10095f75c071fe4af.jpg

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday it was hard rain and lightning here too. I couldn't use the V3i, but my other detectors didn't seem to mind. At one point it was raining so hard I had to turn the pinpointer to vibrate because the sound of the rain was to loud.

I see a front like that and I head out to the sport fields .... Yay, nobody is going to be around!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lighting can strike 10 to as much as 50 miles from a storm... Walking in an open field with a metal rod isn't really a good idea during a storm.. Lighting Striking.jpg

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing that photo I would say yes, that will mess a hunt up. Happened to me on my beach last week with my excal. I could see the lightning flash in the cloud and at the same time I got a signal lol. As it got closer it got harder and harder to detect to the point I couldnt make out a true signal so I hauled butt off that sand.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just turned them on and both are acting all screwy. Need to take them to the dealer when I get back home.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you turn them back on in the house or take them outside to test again?

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All testing done outside. I went out again over the weekend with my father and they both started out screwy but eventually settled down. I going to an old field this coming weekend and will know better then. I still think something isn't right.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if leaving them in a hot trunk could have damaged them.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Load the stock C&J program and drop the Rx down to 6 and try it. Too much gain on a V causes a lot of chatter.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if leaving them in a hot trunk could have damaged them.

Yes it can, high heat is not good for detectors, especially digital detectors.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aliens or Morlocks.

I have this happen with my Explorer on occasion at certain spots.

I can't nail it down to Wires or anything local, because it is not there 100% of the time. and it can not even be counted on to just
stay where it is.

on occasion the area affected has shrunk & grew.

once it either Followed me around, Or it grew to the entire area I was hunting. I had to pack up & go to another town to be sure it wasn't my detector.

but weather never seemed to play a part,

Last edited:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the same thing happen to me that Introfiant had happen to him. Same day, same storm. Took the machine out in the yard the other day to see what would happen, and it ran as smooth as I could ever expect it to.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread