Store Bought Batteries vs Rechargeable

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used PowerGenix NiZn rechargables for several years now in all of my detectors with no problems. I have saved a bit of money. Discrepancies? None that come to mind. I guess the real advantage is you aren't throwing batteries into the landfill every week/month. The savings are OK, but you won't be going to Europe on them at the end of the year! :skullflag:

Hot Rockin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2016
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The owners manual for the Land Ranger Pro has some info about batteries for their unit.
Be sure to check what your detector manufacture recommends.

-Use Alkaline battery
-Do not use Zinc Carbon
-Do not use Heavy Duty batteries.
-Alkaline batteries last about 20 to 25 hrs.
-If using rechargeable batteries it is recommended using Nickel Metal Hydride.
-Rechargeable batteries last 8 hr per charge.

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only experience with rechargeable AA batteries is Energizer brand. I used them in non-detecting devices like game controllers and TV remotes. Their ability to hold a charge seemed to diminish quickly over time, and they took a very long time to recharge fully, even when relatively new. I eventually gave up on them and now I just buy Ray-O-Vac in the 60-pack at Home Depot. They last just as long as the more expensive Energizer or Duracell. Hope this helps.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just bought some rechargeables for the wii remotes since my kids use them up like crazy. Honestly they are turning into a pain in the behind. Its easier to just buy dollar store batteries. $1 for 4 AAs.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been using rechargeables exclusively ever since they became widely available, just seems like the right thing to do.

Keep On Diggin

May 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta, Eurotek Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I buy alkaline in bulk 20-24 packs whenever I need and recycle them at
Batteries +. and buy some batteries from them also. Never had a lot of love for rechargeables, but that's just me.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rechargeables all the way - Don't scrimp and buy the bargain brands.

Eneloop and PowerX are my favorites, both widely available on line.
You'll need a good charger too, PowerX makes those as well.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the PowerEx in my DFX and Enveloop and Energizers in non detection equipment.
The trick to a good experience is using a Smart CHarger (about $40) and reading up on rechargeable. For instance the smart charger lets you choose the rate of recharge 200mah 500mh or 750 mah. You use 200 or AAA and 500 or 750 for AA.. if you use 200 for the larger AAs the charger can miss the shut off point and over charge/over heat the battery. Cheap charges (dumb one that come with the batteries) just charge by time and maybe have a over heat sensor.. There is science behind the smart charger and I have had great luck with the https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50
Read the questions and answers on the amazon page, you will be very educated in rechargeables and smart chargers when you finish.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Energizer and Duracell, 2500 ma, rechargeable batteries in a 3-light yard lighting that would "normally" be solar recharged. Because of the 8' long leads to each yard light from the batteries/solar cell unit, the solar cell doesn't get enough direct sunlight. So, I take two sets of three AA batteries and use a house wall charger to fully charge the three. (One set is charging while the other set of 3 batteries are powering the LED lights) The wall charger charger charges in pairs, so I'll charge two, then move one of the full batteries over to make a pair with the other uncharged battery. That means that one gets charged twice, so to speak. There is some heat buildup in the two batteries from a wall charger, so I wait till the next day and start the second pair charging.... A solid charge will give me two nights, dusk to dawn, of lighting and will recharge enough to last just over 6 months being recharged every two days.

What I've found is that the Energizer Rechargeable batteries can take the double charging much better than the Duracell rechargeables. (The wall charger won't charge deeply when 4 batteries are being charged because it's averaging the charge voltage among 4 batteries instead of 2 batteries) I've read where you break even when you recharge your batteries 10 times.

To offset the cost of rechargeable batteries, each week I use a 40% OFF ONE ITEM coupon from "Michale's when I buy the Energizer 4-pack.

There are better and higher quality AA rechargeables sold on Amazon.com, but until I see a real "end of the world" economy crash coming closer, I'll keep buying locally at 40% Off..:tongue3:

Bill

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rechargeables will save you money, If they are not the type that explode.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Energizer and Duracell, 2500 ma, rechargeable batteries in a 3-light yard lighting that would "normally" be solar recharged. Because of the 8' long leads to each yard light from the batteries/solar cell unit, the solar cell doesn't get enough direct sunlight. So, I take two sets of three AA batteries and use a house wall charger to fully charge the three. (One set is charging while the other set of 3 batteries are powering the LED lights) The wall charger charger charges in pairs, so I'll charge two, then move one of the full batteries over to make a pair with the other uncharged battery. That means that one gets charged twice, so to speak. There is some heat buildup in the two batteries from a wall charger, so I wait till the next day and start the second pair charging.... A solid charge will give me two nights, dusk to dawn, of lighting and will recharge enough to last just over 6 months being recharged every two days.

What I've found is that the Energizer Rechargeable batteries can take the double charging much better than the Duracell rechargeables. (The wall charger won't charge deeply when 4 batteries are being charged because it's averaging the charge voltage among 4 batteries instead of 2 batteries) I've read where you break even when you recharge your batteries 10 times.

To offset the cost of rechargeable batteries, each week I use a 40% OFF ONE ITEM coupon from "Michale's when I buy the Energizer 4-pack.

There are better and higher quality AA rechargeables sold on Amazon.com, but until I see a real "end of the world" economy crash coming closer, I'll keep buying locally at 40% Off..:tongue3:

Bill
Invest in the charger I linked to in my post above and you will probably get longer run times and longer life from new batteries that have not been abused in the charger you are using.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am making the transition to rechargeables in my MXT. I did the 9 cell pack conversion already, and the 1.2v 3000mAh AA batteries seem to hold the voltage okay. I buy them 48 at a time from e Bay.

The coin master that the kids use runs just fine on the 9v rechargeables, as do the pin pointers. Although, I did have to add a pull tab to the batteries to get them out of the pinpointed, as the rechargeables are a little larger, physically, than alkalines. Also, I had to file a notch in the bottom so they would fit easier in the coin master.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brands explode? We need to know. Thanks.

well the lithium metal batteries for one.

what ever is used in hover boards, and Tonka toy dump trucks

I heard cell phones and electronic cigarettes are also exploding

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ack. Here's an update on my battery journey. The "BTY" brand bought off the big auction site really do suck. I thought it was weird that they would drop to 1.1v after two days and apparently that is atypical for NiMH batteries. I got an Energizer brand smart charger, and about half of the batteries that I have tested won't charge with the fast smart charger. There are actually entire websites devoted to the crappiness of the off brand batteries.

And apparently, 3000MaH is an overrated capacity. Oh well, at least it was a cheap lesson as the 48 pack was like twenty five bucks.

I ended up buying some Eneloops and a slow charger, and a set of Energizer's and a fast charger to plug into the car and use "in the field".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread