Headphones for Whites MXT 300.....

Magimerlin

Greenie
Oct 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a few suggestions on headphones that y'all have "personally" used with an MXT.. looking for the good and the bad info/insight on any options.... looking for something with volume control and sudden volume spike block so you do not blow out an ear or two on larger targets...lol.. and prefer a 1/4" plug so I do not have to deal with 1/8 to 1/4 adaptors...

Thank you...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the White's Prostar headphones with the MX Sport. They work great, hope this helps. H Digs

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a pair of the Garrett Treasure sounds. They put the noise in your ears for sure, but I don't know how they compare. I like them because I hunt with my kids, and I can hear the "Dad! Come here!" Pretty good.

In reading a ton over the last few days about headphones, it seems like resistance around 32 ohms, volume control, and a mylar speaker driver are the key features. I've heard everything from "Treasure Wise Rocks" to "nothing less than Killer B Wasp" on the reviews side of things.

In an occupation where I get paid to wear a headset, I really value being able to hear everything all at once, and that includes the environmental sounds around me as I detect. I need to hear the kids, the traffic, the weather AND the detector. That being said, I am probably going with something from Whites. A GT or a new Pro Star will probably be in my future.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i got a pair of jolly rogers from ebay ,that i use on all of my whites,about $ 80.00,i really like them.
brad

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update:. I bought a used pair of Whites GT headphones, the ones in the burgundy color off the big auction site. $32 with shipping. We'll see how I can hear the MXT with the over the ear style from the home factory.

OP
OP
M

Magimerlin

Greenie
Oct 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:. I bought a used pair of Whites GT headphones, the ones in the burgundy color off the big auction site. $32 with shipping. We'll see how I can hear the MXT with the over the ear style from the home factory.
Any update about these yet by chance?

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use sunray pro gold headphones. They have volume control on both ears and there is a limiter switch on them too. And they have a lifetime warranty. Im not sure if they still offer that warranty though.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is definitely an advantage over the Garrett Walkman style Treasuresound headphones that I was using before. The dual volume control is not really useful, and I ended up with a cheap pair of Buhl headphones in a lot with a sand scoop from the big auction site. Both the Whites GT and the Buhl ones sound good, but the only thing I have to compare them to is each other. My hearing is pretty good, and I can definitely hear the threshold cut out on the MXT, which indicates a target at the very edge of detection range. So they should both work better than what I had.

As for the volume cutout, which I thought I might need, if the volume is turned up so I can hear the threshold volume, I never get an uncomfortablly loud volume even at overload. So I can spend the $120 it would have taken me to get the cutout feature somewhere else.

Last edited:

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I ended up with a set of Prostars from Whites. I haven't tested them in the field yet, but they seem comfortable, and sound good with the limited testing I have done so far.

OP
OP
M

Magimerlin

Greenie
Oct 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know.... let me know how the field testing goes when you can if you don't mind please..... thank you...

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Prostars worked great! Even with the volume turned down, they were still plenty loud, and I wore them for a couple hours and they were pretty comfy. The down side was that they were maybe too loud, so I'll have to put a limiter on them in the spring.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any update on this. The used headphones that came with my MXT, the plastic on the headband snapped so I have to jimmy a repair or just invest in a new pair. They were already repaired once by the previous owner. I'd rather take the money I would have to spend buying supplies to repair and invest that into a new set of headphones.

Just trying to get a idea on brand preference and what I should buy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread