kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
THIS COULD BE A DESTRUCTIVE PROCESS! Do so at your own risk!

They're put together the same as some hearing protectors I once rebuilt. The padding is glued to the hard plastic. As these are supposed to be high quality headphones, I don't know if the glue seam will break apart or not. You might try placing them in the freezer overnight (or outside if it's colder than freezer) and see if the glue will become brittle. Be very careful, though, as the foam padding and PVC covering will also become brittle. Once cold, try taking a sharp pocket knife and see if you can work it under the padding. A razor blade or X-acto knife won't work.

On the hearing protectors, the plastic pins that held the earpiece to the head....band(?) broke. I had to get inside and use pop rivets (plus a couple parts I can't remember offhand) to re-attach the earpiece to the head band. Used those things for many years afterwards!! So if you choose to do this, look at the engineering and the components. Modify anything you can or want to now, then make the repairs so permanent that the headphones should never break on you again! ...That's what I do, anyhow. :tongue3: ...If the connections don't seem strong enough, then I would re-work them - make them stronger. Maybe use better wire or a better speaker or a better pot (for volume control).

You could also contact the company and see if they can tell you what kind of adhesive was used. Maybe there is something that can break down the adhesion, such as the vapors of a certain chemical. But again, that's getting pretty touchy! Most items nowdays are made to be disposable. Even though these cost over $100 new, I suspect they aren't really meant for being opened up for repair.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks Y'all. I figured it out. I had already removed the foam ear piece days ago thinking there might be screws and there weren't any. Without the foam, there's easier access to the base where the foam existed. I had twiddled with it before but tied it again, using a medium flat blade screwdriver, carefully working/prying beneath that inner seam, and finally heard a squeak indicating a release. A little more work got the outer shell completely off. Sunray made these with precision and the outer seam was invisable. I actually believe that there was no adhesive at all, just a vey tight fit.

I then pulled in a little length of the coax assy, cutoff and shortened the suspected section of the coily wire and re-did the three wires. Sound is good now. In retrospect, I could have maybe gotten under that lip with the foam left on, but being the first time doing this, I think I did it best.

Gotta get some contact cement to reinstall the foam and then I'm good to go. It helped with the info given here that the foam-base plate was in the formula.

Learning something every day ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread