Enough with the single frequency vlf machines.

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
I have had them all but currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me say up front that I am an analog fan. I hit the wet salt for gold and a once in a blue moon a reale. I also relic and coin hunt inland just as often. I have had great and continued success with my Sovereign GT. I think it is unfortunate that one company has multiple models that are multifrequency while the others are lagging. Does Minelab have a broad raving patent on multifrequency?
I think VLF has peaked. We are in the midst of new detector reveals. The IMPACT looks good but only single frequency at one time. I think many of us thought by advertising that the IMPACT would be multi frequncy.
I hope that we will get a new multifrequency on the market soon.

HH
Jason

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using a mutli frequency machine, been discontinued for years! Replace by the V3i.. There is nothing new in MD technology.. same old stuff, new faster processors, new data presentations.. but same old same means of detection..

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New platforms will appear. They will be RF - transmit/recieve devices. They will utilize more than one frequency at a time. They will process signals in ways not done before. They will require fewer controls. They will provide new modes of operator feedback.

I'll set my calendar alert for 1 January 2019 and check if my predictions were correct.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Minelab have a broad raving patent on multifrequency?

That was my exact thinking. And probably why they charge so much for their machines. Any patent on single frequency tech has probably gone public a long time ago.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Analog fan?! There hasn't been an analog detector made since the early 1980s. Everything switched over to digital processing long ago.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's probably talking about using knobs or basic buttons on the head unit instead of "programs" that the new machines have.

OP
OP
JASONSPAZ1

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hit the nail on the head GoldFleks.

OP
OP
JASONSPAZ1

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Analog fan?! There hasn't been an analog detector made since the early 1980s. Everything switched over to digital processing long ago.

I am not a fan of navigating menus within menus in order to change a sensitivity or disc control.
The Sovereign GT utilizes a microprocessor and digital filtration for excellent auto ground balancing with tracking.
The Sovereign was probably the last of the hybrid analog and digital component land detectors and I am not counting the X-Terra series with vflex tech. B
BS technology is what the Excalibur and Sovereign series uses.
The reason I am an analog detector tech fan, is that I feel analog target responses have better target id "audio bending" than a pre programed digital target response.
Just my opinion.
Take Care
HH
Jason

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right Jason. I've the CTX and frankly it really is just too much. I love swinging it. But it is just so much simpler to swing a machine without a screen and all those complicated settings. Multi-Frequency is the way to go, so much richer in the sounds for a real idea of what is there, the wholeness of the signal, like with the Excal. I've never even seen a Sovereign, but it's the same technology. So I definitely agree.

OP
OP
JASONSPAZ1

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right Jason. I've the CTX and frankly it really is just too much. I love swinging it. But it is just so much simpler to swing a machine without a screen and all those complicated settings. Multi-Frequency is the way to go, so much richer in the sounds for a real idea of what is there, the wholeness of the signal, like with the Excal. I've never even seen a Sovereign, but it's the same technology. So I definitely agree.

Yes sir.
We are on the same page.

HH
Jason

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had two CTX detectors and never really enjoyed them as much as my Sovereign GT, especially at the beach.
The tones make it very clear what's under the coil.
Please Minelab, come out with a waterproof Sovereign GT with an LCD and knobs. Lol!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The reasoning cited in this post are the precise reasons I love to swing my minelab safari.: multi frequency without
Complex programs and settings. Just the initial and occasional noice cancel
and pick a preset program, or one of 4 user modified ones. Nearly The sensitivity of an etrak or ctx but none of the complexity. The key is learning the tones and keeping it slow. Modestly priced as well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the garrett ground hog my father used in 1979 has 3 and 15 freq ... it was one at a time but still had 2 freq to choose from

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New platforms will appear. They will be RF - transmit/recieve devices. They will utilize more than one frequency at a time. They will process signals in ways not done before. They will require fewer controls. They will provide new modes of operator feedback.

I'll set my calendar alert for 1 January 2019 and check if my predictions were correct.

And will these new platforms come out of a facility that rhymes with cursed exes?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm a dinosaur. I have a turn and go machine and a high end machine. Both dig stuff. Lots of stuff. I don't have to waste time on trash targets. I have lots of gold. And silver, and Civil War and Rev War and on and on, ad nauseum. I really have no clue on earth HOW either machine works, the "dumb" one or the "smart" one, except for the basics. I put each on "idiot" mode, me being the idiot and find good stuff.

I also watch other people detect. Some I go right behind and scoop up the good stuff. I'll never figure out the math on the machines, but I get my share. I have read a lot of the books, the manuals, the posts, the arguments, etc. I don't think it's the machine so much as the user. My one $5k coin was found with a $329.00 machine a few years ago. My other best finds were with a 1980's Tesoro.

Now if there were a true shift in technology, and I don't mean switching or multi frequencies or VDI's, THEN you would see a major difference in the take at "hunted out" places. I wonder out loud if anyone is looking outside of the box for that next step? Case in point: I remember the first "TV" dinners. In less than 30 minutes or so you could have your whole aluminum wrapped tv dinner out of the oven and ready to go. Then came the microwave, and it's down to a few minutes, tops,and no aluminum. Yes, I'm that old.

The minesweepers of WWII started all this. We've come a long way. Who is thinking out of the box?

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you'd see leaps and bounds like that if there were as much money in this sector as there is in smartphones etc., but I don't think we'd want to see the hobby become that popular either. I do think that many companies, and Whites in particular is being very stubborn and it is holding them back. After the recent releases of the MX Sport and the MX7 and seeing the reaction in the forums I asked them "why the continued focus on single frequency VLF when you have machines like the Equinox coming and multifrequency being so much in demand?" Their answer is that there will always be a market for lower priced single frequency VLF machines. I don't agree. I think that eventually multifrequency and multiple frequency machines will become more and more mainstream and streamlined. There may continue to be some specialty exceptions, like gold machines, but other than that, continue to devote precious resources to the development of new single frequency models at your own peril. There may always be a market for it, much like there will always be a market for a Harbor Freight 9-function, but that's not where the money will be a couple years from now.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cipher,

Our real problem with getting detector makers to design ever more advanced top-end machines is that you have the “where the money is” issue a bit backwards. The money, in fact is at the medium and low end. Sure they sell for less per unit, but they sell in VASTLY greater numbers. None of them release numbers to support my opinion, but I have some few privately acquired data points which convince me it is correct.

Just look at Minelab, they just brought out not only the Equinox at a shockingly low price, but to support my belief about the overall market, they have re-launched their Go-Find series. This is their attempt to penetrate the mass-merchandiser market - the Big-5, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. This is where thousands of units per month are sold.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally get that, and I think the large volume of the low to mid range machines is what has allowed a company like First Texas to grow its capital and reinvest. What I'm getting at is that in the near future those single frequency low to mid range machines are going to be less and less desirable and valuable as a company like Minelab continues to pack more into a single machine. Once you get past the R and D on multiple and multifrequency machines and they become more streamlined that's what everyone is going to want and what FT, Garrett, Whites et. al. Will have to compete with. For example, VDI numbers used to be a perk only found on higher end machinery. Soon it spread to mid range, and now even low end machines have it. I see it becoming another feature that will grow into an industry standard. I could be wrong, but my feel from the forums is the desire for multiple and multifrequency is growing.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with single frequency detectors if your not doing wet salt water sand, my MXT will hit targets every bit as deep as the V3i. It is nice to have the ability to switch frequency if you encounter bad EMI though. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions