Bounty Hunter Time Ranger: Good or Bad?

How would you rate the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger?

• Excellent!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fair

• Good

• Poor

• Total voters

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
What nearly everyone is going to say is: It's not the detector, its the person swinging it. The experience, knowing how to interpret what your machine is telling you. There is plenty of great stuff to be found with any detector out there!!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Just my opinion. If the BH costs 200.00 or more, go for the low end garrett or whites. Lots of machine for the money, great companys.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much are you paying for it?
If you are buying it used it may be a good detector for the money, but as vwayne1 said their are other detectors on the market too that would "in my own opinon be the better buy.
New the Time ranger is $549 from Kellyco so for that price you have ALOT of options to buy detector,

My own personal choice at that cost would be a Tesoro Deleon for $480 and the Tesoro's come with a Lifetime guarantee! Only one on the market to offer that and the customer service is second to none.

Check it out here, http://www.apex-ephemera.com/treasure/dixie/tesorodeleon.htm

And just a note, I don't have anything in this company.

Jeff

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff in Pa said:
How much are you paying for it?
If you are buying it used it may be a good detector for the money, but as vwayne1 said their are other detectors on the market too that would "in my own opinon be the better buy.
New the Time ranger is $549 from Kellyco so for that price you have ALOT of options to buy detector,

My own personal choice at that cost would be a Tesoro Deleon for $480 and the Tesoro's come with a Lifetime guarantee! Only one on the market to offer that and the customer service is second to none.

Check it out here, http://www.apex-ephemera.com/treasure/dixie/tesorodeleon.htm

And just a note, I don't have anything in this company.

Jeff

Fisher CZ20's and possibly some of their other machines come with "Lifetime" warrantees too.

May want to check out the fisher line.

Also, if you're buying your 1st detector, and are not sure if you'll be in it for the long haul and don't want to spend a fortune on one to begin with, check out the Ace 250 by Garrett - it's a lot of machine for the money (200.00) with some of the features on high end machines costing 1000.00 or more, and it is of top quality/build as all Garretts are. Ask some of the guys here that use them (and especially) the guys that had a other brands before but now use the 250.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been using BHs since I started about 4 years ago, and i know them pretty well. I can get a BH Time Ranger for $450. I will look around for better deals on other detectors though. Thanks again! HH!

Fox

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I bought my new xlt a couple weeks ago locally out of the paper for $500.00. Used once, it came with new digger, bag, whites pinpointer and headphones. The deals are out there.

mudd1242

Greenie
Feb 17, 2005
Charleston, WV
Detector(s) used
MXT, Troy Shadow, Gemni Three
I have a Time Ranger along with some other detectors. I hardly ever use it as I like all the others better. It does seem to do a fairly good job though. I just do not feel as confident useing it compared to the others. But if you like it go for it.

Mudd1242

M

mattjd

Instead of buying the BH buy a Detector of a different make that costs seven or eight hundred dollars. The BH doesn't get much depth and you will miss a lot of old stuff and it will olnly cost you a few hundred dollars extra. Matt

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
::)
not knocking others, we all have our own feelings and thoughts, and that
could affect how we do in the field. but i have a BH Time Ranger and it works
just great, i think! i have no depth issues compared to what i see others posts
here as their depth. yeah, i play around of different settings each time i go out
till i find what works best for where i'm at, and i seem to do just as good as anyone
around with a more expensive MD. AND i'm still a noobie to MDing, so i can't imagine
how good i'll be in 10 years or so! No, i haven't found a mother lode or even anything
worth more than a few hundred dollars, but i have fun, get exercise, enjoy the beauty
God laid before me, recover some coins and do it all with my BH! Not saying other MDers
wouldn't do the same, but seems so many folks look down on BH products, not sure why? ???
I think i do just fine with mine! :)

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
:)
wow! nice finds there, vito!

thats what i mean, a lot of folks seem to look down on the BH line yet never say what experience
they have with it. i'm still new, but so far, a lot does come from the machine.. but a lot comes
from the user, too! Yeah, i's be "iffy" about some of the BH line, to me, you mostly get what you
pay for, but not always. Still, i'd be hesitant to spend $50-$100 on a new detector and expect
to find what others find with a better machine. On the other hand, i understand someone not
spending a fortune on a machine of they're new to the hobby/addiction and want to see if they
like it or not prior to shelling out several hundred dollars.
So far, i do pretty good with my Time Ranger, but i do know some of that is due to where i hunt.
The ground around here isn't too mineralized, though it can be rocky in some areas, and the beach
is a great place to me cause it's soooo easy to dig there! LOL! Call me lazy, but i love hitting thebeach to detect! As far as my Time Ranger, i haven't found a downside yet, i get good depth and find plenty
of coins... but once again, i don't have experience with other detectors, either. Though if i can find
a local place that rents them out for a day, i mos def want to try others and see how i do. If i find
i do better with a Whites or a Garrett, i will get me one and keep my TR as a good backup.

Ok, so anyone have experience with a Time Ranger and other brands? If so, what was the difference,
you think? Depth? IDing objects? I'm not knocking any brand, just want to learn! The more i know,
the better i'll become! :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Land Ranger which is almost the same unit as the Time Ranger. I find it to be adequate but not up to a real top of the line detector. I started out with my Land Ranger and found some very good stuff. I went back over an area with my GTI 2500 and found several coins I had missed with the LR. I don't know if that proves anything because I went back with my ACE 250 and found some more coins both had missed. So, I suppose it is just as much the operator as the machine! I think it is a good detector and probably will serve 99% of your needs for a detector. BH is just not got the glamour or name as some of the others. Monty

Ed in SoDak

Jan 15, 2006
This thread's a little old, but I had to reply.

Monty - Have you gone back over that spot with the TR a second time, just to see if it would find more coins yet again? Then repeat the cycle for the other machines, to see how long you can keep finding stuff in the same spot.

I agree the Land Ranger is just as good. I so seldom use the blanker or the other few features on the TR that the LR does not have, I wouldn't miss them at all.

My Gold Bug 1 has an inch or so better depth, but with no disc., so it's a pain to operate in trashy sites. Digging wire bits at any depth is annoying, but at 10 inches it's just a total waste of time.

It's nice on the TR to just hit a button and knock out iron or foil. Id is usually very good on coins. I've hit coins with it going on 9-10" in the easy digging of a woodchip schoolyard. Anywhere else here, that depth usually requires dynamite or heavy equipment. It's picked up plenty of signals deeper than I cared to dig. I mean a deep, wide hole with no target in sight, but it's still down there deeper and I gave up trying. That's deep enough for me!

-Ed

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I haven't done any more experimenting and I still have all three units. I sometimes have a hard time deciding which one to use on a given day! I'd like to sell the Land Ranger , not because it's not a good detector, just because I don't need it. I sometimes think all the bells and whistles are not necessary for 99% of the detecting the average person does. It's just something else that messes with your mind while you are out detecting. Heaven knows that with my limited cranium power I don't need anything messing with my mind! ::) Right now I am in a slump and don't think I could find a rock with a bulldozer! I have hit three high potential spots recently with nothing to show for it but clad. Ever seen clad before? ??? ;) I think 90% of metal detecting is 100% mental. (Thanks Yogi Berra). ;) Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread