Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I just gut them out and take the mic setup off. The headset is some weird voltage like 32, and since they have been around for awhile you will find different OHm speakers in some. I've did a few sets and some were 1200 and I had one set that had 900 ohm. They were replaced with Piezo buzzers and one set I used audiosears 2463's. The head sets are well built and the Gel pads are excellent for blocking out the noise. So if you have any experience with headsets you should have no problem working on the DC.

OBN0016.jpg 297030_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
About the same here.
I've got several sets that I've removed the microphone, changed out the cordset, and speakers on some.

They are very heavy duty as most are sold for military or aviation use.
I also like the gel pads for comfort and noise blockage but they are hot in the summer.

Jeff

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I've used the stock 32 ohm speaker but found a really good piezo speaker that beats any high end metal detector headphones I've tested for nugget hunting.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used the stock 32 ohm speaker but found a really good piezo speaker that beats any high end metal detector headphones I've tested for nugget hunting.

This is the best I've found after several years of testing.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pui-audio-inc/APS4812B-LW100-R/668-1190-ND/1738483

How they are set up or placed on really affects the audio also. Several years ago I was running a Doc's Amp but once I worked out a design which naturally magnifies the audio the Amp is no longer needed. It's more of a horn design that directs the audio to the ear canal.

Piezo's I've tested over the years...I even found a 60mm piezo, sad it did not work as well as hoped.

DSC_9121.jpg

Which piezo have you found works best for nugget hunting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread