Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By softsand
  • 1 Post By ripp1
  • 1 Post By bklein
  • 1 Post By Tommybuckets
  • 1 Post By OBN
  • 2 Post By Treasure_Hunter

Thread: Loud steady hum, no adjustable threshold on excal II

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2013
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Loud steady hum, no adjustable threshold on excal II

Last year I had a problem with excal II. When I first got to location, turned it on, it was fine. If I shut it off for a minute or two, all I could get was a very loud, unadjustable threshold noise, could not recognize a target. I sent it to Kelly's. They couldn't find anything except put new battery in, and recommended trickle charger which I've been using.
    This year less than 20 uses, loud steady noise is immediate, doesn't even start out working right. Battery tests at 14.5 volts.
    Any ideas I hate to send it in again, until I have an idea whats going on. Thanks
    A2coins likes this.

Aug 2006
    1 times
    Iíve recently developed the same symptoms with my 1st generation Excal. It will reset after charging but now only last 20 minutes before the tone comes back. Unit is 11 years old. Might be done for.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    33 times
    1. Test the battery voltage while it is in failing state. Could try replacing with a dc power supply. Vary the voltage to see if it stays working within 10.5-14V. Load is around 120mA.
    2. Try shorting the threshold pot wiper to ground with a jumper while it is in failing mode. If that works but turning the knob doesnt you probably have a bad pot. (Yes, have to open it up) Can check pots with a meter.
    3. Look for corrosion on any pcb traces or wire solder connections.
    4. Try replacing the coil with another. Look for cracks in housing or coil cable.
    5. Sell it to me really cheap. (Or trade ya a working surf pi....)
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    590 times
    Are you in the water? Sounds like a battery short (low battery warning) as if water is getting into the battery connection.
    A2coins likes this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4405 times
    Old Gold, New Gold, Any Gold
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripp1 View Post
    I’ve recently developed the same symptoms with my 1st generation Excal. It will reset after charging but now only last 20 minutes before the tone comes back. Unit is 11 years old. Might be done for.
    how old is the battery...I hope not 11 years old.
    A2coins likes this.

.Effort is Important, But knowing where, when and how to make an effort can make all the difference!

2018 .. Gold Rings ..3.........Silvers ...8

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    24596 times
    OBN is right, you could have a bad cell and still have 14.5 volts, measure the voltage with battery connected and turned on. Don't connect the locking nut, hook small strand of wire to each terminal of battery cable and plug it in to battery being sure not to short them together, hook up your ohm meter and measure voltage when you turn excal on, if voltage drops low you have a bad cell in the battery.
    franklin and A2coins like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

Charter Member
    au
    Aug 2014
    Brisbane
    8 times
    Watching this thread... Have seen a few similar symptoms but different causes every time...

A: Battery
    B: Bad wiring/connector to the Battery
    C: Coil ?
    Best find - My Wife
    Best Activity - Repairing and servicing PinPointers and MD's.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6114 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have the same thing happening on my older Excal, I think It's the battery.....
    because, I take my other newer battery, hook it up and it doesn't happen.
    Charge the old battery, it doesn't happen. I think on the old battery, it's just wearing out, doesn't hold the charge like it used to. Maybe good for short hunts, but for them all day long hunts..... I use the new battery.

Will be watching thread also.....
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links