Can you hear me now? Can I hear deep targets> what to do if you don't hear well?

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detector for the near Deaf? How do you gent's compensate for bad hearing? Old veterans and I see a few here on the site must have some way to hear?
I wear hearing aids and wonder if they can be used to get the sound right through them? There should be a way to change sounds for each individual? I hear some ranges like a Bat and others can not hear to save my life?

Thanks in advance, Dave. Aye? What did ya say?

OP
OP
G

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, Old veterans get no interest around here it seems, DID I RUB SOMEONE WRONG?? Maybe it is just Hunting season? Or no one gives a rats azz? It is Ok, I am creative and I share info like this to HELP OTHERS.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My earphones totally went out on me the other day. (Hadn't properly recharged them, that was all.) So I essentially was deaf for awhile until they recharged. I still was able to dig ok by looking at the machine's VDI meter. It would give out numbers and act up when it was over something.

OP
OP
G

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Smokeythecat. I may end up going to visual indicators as you mention, I have to try several things before I settle on the best for my own use. My hearing aid Dr. is open to working with me on tuning these hearing aids to work with tones that I can hear more easily for MDetector use. The multi tone ringing in my ears never quits which adds another dimension to get through, there is a difference when I take the pain meds, the tones change to a higher pitch.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez give folks time to respond! I don't live online, we would rather be detecting.

I also have hearing issues. I use headphones over my ears and aids. I've also used Motorola buds in conjunction with my aids, and a Bluetooth transmitter. Now that is a special low latency type, forget the initials just now but it's been discussed on this forum so you can search Bluetooth to find it. I'm also a vet if that matters.

I don't remember who makes it but there's st least one company that puts s vibrator in the handle. Search vibrator here, probably not too many off color posts.

I have quite recently gotten s Fisher F75 that lets me lower the frequency of the tones it emits, and that helps me hear them better.

Having a graphic display is also a huge help. My last (and next two) detectors are audio only so I can state it is a great benefit to me even while still learning what it's telling me.

That's all I can share. Hope you decide it's worthwhile.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I miss some targets. My ears ring all the time and I'm deaf on the highest range of sound. My Deus has a good display and after I hear a signal, the VDI sometimes guides me whether to dig or not.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old veterans use threshold and tones to adjust for any loss of hearing. Good set of head phones dont hurt either. I use a set of grey ghost back woods that cuts out all the daytime noise. Now all my detectors have proportional audio so if it is deep the bigger the plug and deep I dig before I pull out the PP. But truly deaf guys(a friend) just use VDI. But small motors can be put in the handles to help. One manufacturer already has this.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's also a vibration unit you can get I think. Vibrates different frequencies for tones. Let me try to find it

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use full size headphones anymore. Heard too many stories of detectorists getting bushwacked by the bad guys. Also, want to hear any critters approaching me. Ran into a werewolf, uh, I mean coyote here in Maryland in the spring. Don't want to get snuck up on, and since goofy here sometimes plays in the rain, hearing the thunderstorm a long way off can be good.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use full size headphones anymore. Heard too many stories of detectorists getting bushwacked by the bad guys. Also, want to hear any critters approaching me. Ran into a werewolf, uh, I mean coyote here in Maryland in the spring. Don't want to get snuck up on, and since goofy here sometimes plays in the rain, hearing the thunderstorm a long way off can be good.

Always great to keep an open ear, I only use one ear to hunt. When it wears out I'll switch ears haha.

OP
OP
G

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve JJ , TP Metal, Casca, Thank you Gent's and Veterans Always make a difference, I am one too, Now I have a few ways to go to get past the bad hearing, you guy's helped more than you know. Hope I can return the favor some time.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Products makes a Vibra Probe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread