If you think your coil is on it's way out....

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....remove your shoes! My safari has been acting erratic last 6 outings, with no rhyme or reason as to why it kept falsing. Every swing the threshold would either blank out or give me a tone in the 32 to 33 range. Drove me insane. So I was doing some troubleshooting and stood in one spot , feet planted firmly. Waved coil all around me at a distance, and no falsing or signals, solid threshold. It dawned on me that I have been wearing different sets of boots on the last 6 outings if one pair was wet, so it seems when I wear my workboots that have 10 pairs of metal eyelets it is enough for the stock safari coil to pick up with every forward step. Changed back to my other boots with nylon eyelets and problem gone. What a maroon. :icon_scratch:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I did that when I got my Land Ranger Pro, my 505 would just ignore my steel toed boots but they would drive my Land Ranger nuts unless I toned it down. Pinpointer will make it do weird stuff also if I get it too close while its on.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello lisfisher,

Sometimes my Minelabs go a little crazy, probably depends on location...etc. IMHO: What I do is noise cancel and then back off manually the channel by one or two. This usually works very well with no loss of detector performance.

Also be careful of metal in your boots or time your swing to have that foot in the rear of the swing. :icon_thumright:

Regards,

Doc

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I thought you were going to say dirt and minerals were trapped between the coil and the coil cover. Less obvious than steel toed boots or eyelets but definitely happens.

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....remove your shoes! My safari has been acting erratic last 6 outings, with no rhyme or reason as to why it kept falsing. Every swing the threshold would either blank out or give me a tone in the 32 to 33 range. Drove me insane. So I was doing some troubleshooting and stood in one spot , feet planted firmly. Waved coil all around me at a distance, and no falsing or signals, solid threshold. It dawned on me that I have been wearing different sets of boots on the last 6 outings if one pair was wet, so it seems when I wear my workboots that have 10 pairs of metal eyelets it is enough for the stock safari coil to pick up with every forward step. Changed back to my other boots with nylon eyelets and problem gone. What a maroon. :icon_scratch:
. I think most of us have been guilty of that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread