Ignorant man needing Tech questions answered.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, with all the craze over this crypto currency, like bitcoins. I have accumulated hundreds of hard drives from lots of computers over the years. I am wondering how to check to see if there is any bitcoins located on them? These are hard drives that I can't bring myself just to scrap just in case there is personal information on them. I don't know a good way to destroy them so I have just stored them. I hear stories of how people threw their computers out that had a lot of bitcoins on them and can't get them back so I was thinking there may be some on these that I have too. Any ideas or is it just a waste of my time to check them out?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everybody needs a wet dream at some point in their life. Best of luck! :skullflag:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My (fairly) limited understanding of cryptocurrency is that every coin has a crypto key. If you don't possess the key, you don't posses the coin. If the references to "lost bitcoin" is the loss of the key, then I suppose there is a chance since the 'ledger' is public. That said, I imagine it's a very small chance but if you did find some, it would be like hitting the lottery. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can speak to it.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its my understanding that when you mine bitcoin you have to have an account called a wallet witch you can then have converted to money directly deposited into your bank account or on a card kind of like a debit card, any coins you have will require a username and password, and transaction number. Hope this helps

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my best guess is to look in any .txt = text document or .wrd Word documents or just do a keyword search Bitcoin on the slaved hard drive

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to check the drives you will need an old (but still functional) tower computer system. Then just go through your drives one at a time, plug them into the serial cable and the power supply.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You might need two different towers though,there were two different hard drive types,SATA and another one which i forget off hand.

CA49

Dec 22, 2017
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To mine bitcoin you have to have a "wallet" to store the mined bitcoins. I'd google what wallet software's were available in the early days (there are a bunch now) and see if any of them are installed. I believe one of the older wallets had a file name "wallet.dat.” so add that to your search. If you can find the .dat file and the program then you may be able to open and recover the coins stored in the .dat file. Note that the file is probably encrypted / password protected so if you don't have the password then good luck.

RE: destroying hard drives, that's a two parter. If you can get to it online then use a "disk wipe" program which can be found for free and it overwrites all data with random binary data (0 and 1). Formattimg drives is not a good solution. To physically destroy a drive, I first take them apart to get the magnets then destroy the discs inside via hammer, tinsnip or I've heard the best method is to grind the drive but that seems like overkill.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP