The Search Coil! What it does? How to change it? When to change it? Why to change it?

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys, first of all I am the quintessential rookie still shopping for my first detector but I do have an engineering background and lots of wisdom!
I have read lots on this great forum and it seems that the search coil is pretty much the heart of the matter! That being said, is not a deeper ground signal better although possibly not in all cases? I like to think outside the box as the saying goes and wondering about types of mods I could do to an entry level detector?? I would like to know all about search coil technology..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In GENERAL:

Concentric coils are deeper than DD coils.
DD coils are better for small targets in heavy mineral soils and clays.
Lager coils give better depth
Smaller coils give better separation of good targets from junk in trashy areas

Coils also work differently at different frequencies when it comes to depth, sensitivity and separation. :skullflag:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lex, I wrote a book "Inside the Metal Detector" that explains how they work and includes DIY projects. The short answer is, eking out more performance than a metal detector engineer was able to eke out in the first place is a very tall task. But for some detectors in some locations, it is possible. I see you're in Bend, I'm in Corvallis if you happen this way. I'm a metal detector engineer, btw.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carl, that's great information and I am actually at the moment a snowbird in Yuma but my family is in Bend and I will be there most of the summer 2018.
I will look you up... Thanks again, Morgan

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carl, that's great information and I am actually at the moment a snowbird in Yuma but my family is in Bend and I will be there most of the summer 2018.
I will look you up... Thanks again, Morgan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions