Need help

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II that I have had for decades. I haven't used it in quite a few years and had it sitting in my shed. I recently started getting the bug again so I dug it out of the abyss.

Obviously, it would not power up. Not that I would ever expect it to. However, like a real dumb ass I left the batteries in it all these years. The corrosion was bad enough to cause the tops of the batteries to tear off when I removed them. So I went out and got two new 9v connectors and just finished soldering them in a few hours ago. After painstakingly fishing everything back through the holes I reassembled the unit and mounted it. Upon turning it on I got no readout indications, beeps, or battery light. I went ahead and tried passing it over a steel splitting wedge just to ensure it wasn't working. Nope. I tore it down again and verified the battery wires were still intact and making continuity. Also verified 18v at the on/off switch. One oddity (to me); on one of the sets of battery leads, not only did I get good continuity, but when I tested from one connector terminal (+ I think) I got continuity to both the + and - on the board. However, the other wire didn't do that. I am not huge on electronics, but I suspect maybe a diode is involved. Also, the other battery connector's wires don't do this at all.

IDEAS??

OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm not getting a lot of response here. Let me try something else. Does anyone have a schematic for this detector?

Uncle Horscht

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2018
Germany
Detector(s) used
Selfmade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Erndog, can you take two Pictures of the PCB (Solderside and Partsside)?

OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully these upload.

DSCF4035.JPG
DSCF4038.JPG

Uncle Horscht

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2018
Germany
Detector(s) used
Selfmade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Erndog,
i'll try to help (sorry if my english is not 100% perfect).
If nothing works, it seems to be a problem with the supply voltage
1. The solder-joints on the PCB are horrible. Check if there are cracks around the soldered pins and resolder them to prevent defective contacts. (Maybe the solder joints of the mains-switch are cracked)
2. Measure the voltage at one OP-Amp TL064 Pin4 and 11 (middle pin on both sides) are for the operating voltage, from 4 (+) to 11 (-) there should be about 18Volts (+9V/-9V)
3. Check the connection between PCB and display/frontpanel

Good Luck

OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voltage across pin 4 and 11 about 500mV for both TL064's, regardless of switch position (max or min).

Uncle Horscht

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2018
Germany
Detector(s) used
Selfmade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, the elektronics has no power.

It seems that there is a problem with the switch or the wires to the pcb
check the soldering of the pins of the switch,
check if the switch can turn on/off the power,
check the wires between switch and pcb...

OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may have misunderstood. Those readings were from pin 4 to 11. Today I checked from 4 to ground and 11 to ground, and I get 9vdc every time.

OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been. I was just looking for the number. When I was getting (-) numbers I figured I had my leads backwards.

OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, that's the whole thing.

Uncle Horscht

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2018
Germany
Detector(s) used
Selfmade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the manual is written, if the cord (i think the coil-wire) i not connected correct, there is also no power indication. "No Power No Sounds -> Cord not connected securely -> Check connections"

Check the correct connection of the coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erndog

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same issue when connected. Connection was clean, good, and firm.

Uncle Horscht

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2018
Germany
Detector(s) used
Selfmade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. Can you check the resistance off the coils?

There are two coils (receive and transmit) each hat two contactors. Each coil should have resistance about 20Ohms or less. Is there a 5th contactor (extra shielding) there could be a connection to one side of one or both coils -> aprox 0 Ohms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread