Simple question

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i need to get inside an ace 400i to have a look for corrosion. I took the screws in the battery compartment off off and now it seems like the next step is to pull the display screen off and i know theres gonna be alot of wires attached so i need to be careful. But that screen is really on there tough. Am i just being to light with my pulling? I dont want to reef it apart and break all the solder. Has anyone with experience done this? Am i missing something? I also dont want to void a warranty so if there some way they can tell i was in there it would be good to know. I am almost to nha trang and i will go nuts if i cant detect. I feel like a wuss asking but can i pull her apart or will i break it? Any advice is much appreciated.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best piece of advice I can offer is if it is still under warranty, do not take it apart. Send it in for warranty work! What makes you think there may be corrosion inside? Does the detector not work?

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett is very good with repairs in my opinion

Let them tinker with it... it’s cheaper then having it fixed after you break it. If they break it they replace it...who knows if they do that you might just get an upgrade to the MAX..

Cheers and Good Luck

898D95D6-B0F1-4B5C-9979-CF522A28A92F.jpeg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am almost to nha trang and i will go nuts if i cant detect.

Nha Trang Vietnam? That puts you pretty far from a service center. My last 3 months in Vietnam were spent at Nha Trang.

Does your Ace have issues? Otherwise, why would you want to open it up to check for corrosion?

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nha Trang Vietnam? That puts you pretty far from a service center. My last 3 months in Vietnam were spent at Nha Trang.

Does your Ace have issues? Otherwise, why would you want to open it up to check for corrosion?

Ya it went nuts a few days ago and now every signal is a 73........that is usually a tab........but everything shows up as 73.......obvious iron to silver to gold.......all 73's! It might show the true signal for a sec if its out of the ground and i try to fool it but its 99% sure its a hard 73. Also sometimes the iron audio just gets stuck on. Constantly ringing iron audio is not fun and it does it whenever it wants and only luck and alot of time seems to help it out. I have reset it many times and checked it over to no avail. I dont want to open it up and void the waranty but i also dont want to spend all day diggin caps and tabs. The possability of getting traded for a max excites me though! Its my last ten days here and i just wanted to get some drunk russians gold chain before i go back to my island and send her in for a fix or an upgrade. I use it a ton and this is the first time shes let me down. I have still found jewelry with it acting funny but i do alot more digging.

On a side note deepseeker, you must mean when you were here back in 1971? I bet its changed alot since then. I can only imagine what this place must have been like. I have dug a few pretty cool relics from wars over here in the north but now i need my discrimination more than ever. Is my 400 dollar waranty really worth a 400+ gold chain......? I came a long way to hit this tourist spot up.

Thanks for weighing in everybody......i think i will just keep cleaning the beach trash and hope persitance pays off. Especially since i am so close to being back in north america.....unless somebody on here has an experienced diy approach for me

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure Nha Trang has changed in the nearly 50 years since I was there. I'd love to go back to visit, but never will.

I know nothing of the 400i, so I went looking for repair / issues videos and found this one - the same issues you're having - noisy constant '73'. She took the coil cover off and cleaned it, replaced the batteries, and it went back to normal. The issue comes up at around the 16 minute mark in the video.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% guaranteed they will know you been in there. Opening up a detector will void your warranty and they do not sell parts.

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the problem she was having was classic low batteries.....i have had that many times before.....this is different........i had full batteries when it started and replaced them. Cleaned the cover. Removed the cover. Factory reset. All to no avail. My discrimination is just done now. After using it alot in nha trang it has gotten slightly better but every signal will show a 73 multiple times no matter what and all other known signals are changed. It is now teaching me bad habits and untrue signals. I decided not to open it up though thanks to everyones advice. I will just wait it out and hope it doesnt kill my spring detecting in north america. I hope it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg shipping from texas to canada.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the problem she was having was classic low batteries.....i have had that many times before.....this is different........i had full batteries when it started and replaced them. Cleaned the cover. Removed the cover. Factory reset. All to no avail. My discrimination is just done now. After using it alot in nha trang it has gotten slightly better but every signal will show a 73 multiple times no matter what and all other known signals are changed. It is now teaching me bad habits and untrue signals. I decided not to open it up though thanks to everyones advice. I will just wait it out and hope it doesnt kill my spring detecting in north america. I hope it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg shipping from texas to canada.

FedEx Ground is VERY affordable just a thought

Cheers

‘Scoop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread