Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Something to consider = batteries... The expense thereof

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15392 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

Something to consider = batteries... The expense thereof

This applies to all machines today. For example, my CTX battery pod requires 8 double A's.

I won't be using it often, but just received a circa '83 Garrett MH Deepseeker ADS III, which requires 6 - 9v batteries. If I bought the better Batteries, they're $7.50 per battery = $22.50 for who knows how many hours

Of course I love the rechargebles on these primo machines, but like in the case of the ADS III, would a battery pack pay for itself?
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15392 times
    This thread has been viewed by over 40 members.

I posted this to get people thinking, so let's bump this back up to where it's an active consideration of what we put into this hobby.
    A2coins likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    3165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think the battery pack would be a good idea if you had other items that use 9v batteries. If your only going to use the ADS a few times then look at cheaper throw away batteries or check out local thrift stores. They sometimes get donations of new batteries and sell them dirt cheap.
    A2coins and DeepseekerADS like this.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    15392 times
    It's not so much about the Deepseeker and battery usage. I point this out to make people look at the expenses we put into this hobby.

Obviously if I put $22.50 into batteries for the Garret for a few hours hunt, I'd be wasting some bucks.

This applies in our approach to the machines we swing every day.

Energy conservation? Just saying we oughta pay attention to our expenses in keeping our beepers running
    Slingshot and A2coins like this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Oregon
    Custom Designs and Prototypes
    495 times
    Battery costs have varied over the years and generally have declined as detectors get more fuel efficient and have moved to cheaper AA batteries. The worst I can recall was a White's Relic Master from the 70's that require 19 C cells. That "19" ain't a typo. For a while, 14-AA cells was a "standard". Now you can easily run a VLF detector on 2-AAs. And NiMH rechargeables are pretty cheap, making it a better deal for the folks who hunt a lot.

This is part of the bigger picture of "return on investment" in metal detecting. I get a kick out of people who say their detector paid for itself... fantastic if that's what they're after, but did they include the batteries, all the accessories, the cost of driving to the sites, and the hours they spent? What were the opportunity costs? I look at metal detecting like fishing and hunting. I'll never "pay for" my rods and rifles, and a trip to the grocery store is invariably faster & cheaper, but I'm out there for the fun, the challenge, and some fresh air. If you're worried about the cost of batteries, pick a different hobby.
    A2coins, john845, luvsdux and 1 others like this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    246 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    So do you use rechargeables for your pinpointer? What's the big deal in putting them in your new old detector? True it takes many of them, but if you plan on using the detector much it'll save you money. If only to be used once in awhile go with cheap alkalines.
    Last edited by Swaveab; Mar 17, 2018 at 12:10 AM.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    3165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    It's not so much about the Deepseeker and battery usage. I point this out to make people look at the expenses we put into this hobby.

Obviously if I put $22.50 into batteries for the Garret for a few hours hunt, I'd be wasting some bucks.

This applies in our approach to the machines we swing every day.

Energy conservation? Just saying we oughta pay attention to our expenses in keeping our beepers running
    I agree that we should keep an eye on what we spend. That said i also agree with Carl in that this is a hobby and unless we find some big hoard that sets us up for the rest of our life, their will be expenses to be paid. I for one have traveled hours on end to places that gave me a couple wheat pennies and maybe a silver dime. If i wanted to save money i would have gone to the local coin shop, plopped down a buck for a silver dime and 50 cents for a few wheat's and saved the 30 bucks on a tank of gas. And lets not forget the 15 or more dollars on the food i would have eat that day. Our equipment is cheap when compared to other hobbies and we are lucky to see a little come back to us in clad. But over all, its a hobby just like other hobbies and i count batteries as part of the expense of having fun.
    Dig till you drop!

RTR
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20
    7054 times
    Thats only one reasons I bought a Teknetics Liberator.It only takes (1) (alkaline only) 9V. batt.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    14216 times
    I feed the pinpointer 9v's.
    Depending on clad count ,AA's are offset well enough.
    Never seem to find fresh batteries underground when diggin though....

Some day maybe , daylight hunts will be fueled by a solar function.

us
    Oct 2009
    7158 times
    The cost and durability of rechargeable batteries has greatly reduced over the years. Frankly, at this point in time, disposables should be carried as emergency backups, but yet I have seen people who stubbornly refuse to use rechargeables, even when the detector comes with a factory recharge pack. They just toss it in the closet and keep plugging disposables into it.

Now, as to the OP's classic detector, if you plan on really using that detector often then you need to get a modern pack. If its a wall hanger that will get used once in a while for grins and nostalgia then save money and put some cheap, dollar-store batteries in it.

us
    Feb 2018
    Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
    Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
    543 times
    Just a quick note to those who use 9v, AA, and AAA batteries. There have been tests conducted comparing Duracell, Energizer, and Amazon Basic batteries. The Amazon Basics have proven to be as good or better, with 10-year storage as the others... and at HALF the price!
    Check out their 48-pack of AA's for a hair over $12... I use them exclusively now, and with absolutely no complaints!

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...dp/B00MNV8E0C/
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    --- Isaac Asimov

Equinox 600, Equinox 800, ACE 300 (x2 for wife and young son), Garret Carrot, White's Ground Hawg, Minelab Pro-Find 35, ArchMage SoundClean 9 APTX LL Ears.

us
    Apr 2015
    Grand Haven, MI
    Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
    17 times
    Metal Detecting
    I migrated to the rechargeable 9v batteries for everything that takes a 9v. A 9v rechargeable actually is 9v, so it's an easy swap. The backup detector and both pinpointers love the inexpensive [large online auction] batteries.

The AA batteries are a different story. My detector uses 8 AA batteries, for a 12v pack. (8*1.5v=12v). The rechargeable batteries currently available are 1.2v. So an 8 AA pack would only be 9.6v. This is problematic because my detector likes around 10 volts as a minimum voltage, or close to that. So the packs have to be modified to add a 9th cell to bring the nominal voltage to 10.8v, which the detector likes a lot better.

To respond to the original post though, I am definitely thinking about the cost and trying to be more "green" and cost effective while enjoying a hobby I really love.
    DeepseekerADS and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    15392 times
    Great responses here! That ADS I bought is a wall hanger, part of the "museum". But I also use a lot of AA's. I buy them in cheap bulk packs of 100, and that actually lasted over 2 seasons. That bought battery costs way down for me. Those cheapo's performed very well, certainly not up to Duracell's performance, but I didn't spend a fortune for two good seasons of use.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    841 times
    with the price of gas to get there,40 or 60 dollars a year is not a big deal.i pick them up when i see them on sale.all of my whites use 8aa battery.no iam not going to pay for them and gas detecting,oh well in a hobby.i raced offroad cars for 38years.so this is a very cheap hobby.i think it better not to know how much we spend,and if you write in down your wife mite see it.just go when you can. good everyone brad

us
    Dan

Feb 2016
    Petersburg Virginia
    Deus, Others
    1305 times
    Relic Hunting
    Battery cost quickly adds up. I know when I use disposables I change them as soon as they start getting weak.
    Dig it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links