Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Danville
Detector(s) used
F5 - (2) X-Terra 705 - Garrett AT Pro - Equinox 800
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where to post this? If this doesn't belong here ... move it to a place it will do some good? Would like to hear from Our Forum Family in regards to the Nel Hunter Coil for the Minelab X-terra. My understanding is that you can select either of the individual single 3 frequencies that conforms to the x-terra 705. You're input would very much be appreciated. Thank you very much! Hope somebody can address this. KK USAF 62-66

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you can purchase a 3.5 a 7.5 or a 18.5. The 7.5 is the stock coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you can purchase a 3.5 a 7.5 or a 18.5. The 7.5 is the stock coil.

Correct, as long as coil is designed for the Xterra series you can run 3.5, 7.5 or 18.75 khz coils.

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL 3 frequency and single frequency coils

:icon_salut:Yes, when they first came out with the 3 frequency NELs for the X-Terra series, I bought one.
As you already know, Minelab coils only transmit in in one, dedicated, single frequency, forcing you to buy a new coil if you wanted to switch up the frequency you were hunting in. That can be a pain... in order to switch to another frequency on the NEL all you had to, as I recall, turn the the machine on-then-off-then on again quickly to advance to the next frequency. It saved you from having to go back to the vehicle to grab another, different frequency coil and go through the whole "changing of the coil" process. Now I liked the NEL 3 frequency coil I had (the Hunter)... it performed well. I even did a couple of amateurish YouTube videos comparing the 3 frequency NEL (in 18.75khz mode) to the Minelab 5" x 10" 18.75khz coil... in an air test I did, the NEL out performed the Minelab OEM coil. Now I know that's not proof of much, but I was satisfied with it field performance also. At the time, I hunted mostly in 18.75khz. I found more than a few gold rings in that mode... some very thin, children's bands and one 1963 class ring about 8 inches deep in very wet, muddy soil that had been there a seemingly long time. I sold the two X-Terra 705s and all the coils I had years back and moved up to the E-Trac, now the E-Trac is a great machine, but I noticed that my gold finds had really dropped since selling the 705... so much so, that I bought a Teknetics G2+ (19KHZ) last Winter(2017) as a 705 replacement and my third time out with it I found a man's 14k gold band. Again not implying anything, but I do like that 18 to 19khz frequency range for parks and fields.. Sorry for the run-on... but let me end with this... be careful if you are looking for a used NEL 3 frequency coil, you have to make sure that it truly is the multi-frequency version because they are/were indistinguishable from the single frequency version in appearance when I bought mine. I had a, I'll say "memorable" experience buying a used, described Multi-frequency NEL for my other X-Terra 705 from someone on a FaceBook forum. It turns out that NEL, when given the serial number from the supposed NEL 3 frequency coil couldn't confirm whether or not it was the single or multi-frequency version. It turned out that it was the single freq version and I had to go through the whole PayPal refund process... as I said... It was memorable.
Best of luck. Hope this helped you in some way.
Gerry

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread