Solar power?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not for underwater detectors. LOL I've seen solar panels people attach to their back pack. That way you get full sun when you are looking away from it. Now figure out a wireless power like MIT Witricity. Might even make for a lighter weight detector without batteries on board (put them with the solar panel).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been charging metal detector batteries for years with solar chargers in the deserts of Arizona. :skullflag:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a big enough solar panel (amperage), it will work in cloudy weather. How about one of those wind-up flashlights like those old army telephone generators? There's all kinds of stuff you can use. Some you put in your shoes and just walk. Stay out of water. LOL

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably could. But figuring you have 4 AA size batteries to recharge that currently (n'yuk, n'yuk) takes about 100 square inches of surface panels around 6 hours to charge.

So you'd need a hat with 10" x 10" of area in the sun.

Did you save your graduation mortarboard?

h3uvoxcfbhozdsjx6fli.jpg

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How bout just having a small panel, and using it to just maintain your charge a bit longer? They do manufacture flexible solar panels, which could be incorporated right into a jacket or shirt....

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to ebuy and type in 10w 5v solar panel, there is one with white frame about $15. That's what i would use, might need a voltage step-up. Should work in cloudy weather. But there are other smaller ones (6v) without frame that would work for battery extender.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to ebuy and type in 10w 5v solar panel, there is one with white frame about $15. That's what i would use, might need a voltage step-up. Should work in cloudy weather. But there are other smaller ones (6v) without frame that would work for battery extender.

This setup would work perfectly with an Equinox!

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will depend on the battery type the detector is using. Li-ion has a high charging efficiency and will quickly go up to 80% when the charge will switch to a constant voltage mode with decreasing current. Then it will be rather slower to get that last 20%

The inexpensive usb panels rarely perform very well. They'll only work with direct exposure. It's far more efficient to carry a powerbank with you. If you're going to be offgrid for an extended period then a larger solar panel, mppt charge controller, and a battery at camp is going to be a lot less hassle.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found simple car charger most convinient, i think solar would do OK too, if there's enought sunlight.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hound is onto the sent! You don't want to be packing around extra weight. Just charge spares at base camp- or charge a battery bank at camp. But enough solar panel to do the job is going to be larger than you want to pack around.

routhledge

Jan 30, 2019
Richmond
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The solar panel is too big for such an idea. Still, it is easier to use batteries or if there are several of them. I used a couple of such batteries when I was still at university and at the same time I found out on Assignment.EssayShark.com that a new type of hybrid solar modules based on perovskites could increase the efficiency of solar cells up to 66%. Perhaps this will be the solution to such a problem in the future.

konver911

Apr 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is not very good idea thou, but if you want to do it you should try maybe it will be worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread