Need Help With My Vaquero

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used Vaquero about a month and a half ago. It looked brand new when I got it. I went out today to 2 spots at the first it was falsing a little bit. When I got to the next spot , I set it up again. When I turned it on it would just make loud erratic beeping. Kind of like the noise it makes turned on with the coil disconnected. I am thinking something is wrong with the coil or connection? I tried several batteries with no effect. I also noticed that the plastic piece around the pins on the coil connection has a little play in it. The connection on the housing. Is that normal? I will try call Tesoro tomorrow also. Can anyone give me any advice?

OP
OP
john845

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been using it almost every day for a month and a half

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First check all your connections. Check the coil cover to make sure there is not dirt or black sands between it and the coil. With the machine OFF, and the battery out, turn your Ground Balance Knob to the LEFT (counter clockwise) Five full revolutions. Now turn the knob to the RIGHT (clockwise) Three full revolutions. Replace the battery, set the sensitivity at 6, Discrimination to Nickel, depress the red Ground Balance Button, and turn on the machine. Release the Ground Balance Button immediately.

See what that does. :skullflag:

OP
OP
john845

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cleaned some dirt out from underneath the scuff cover. i think the connector that screws into the housing is going. if i wiggle it it beeps i will look at it closer in the morning

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry , I'm interested in this process ... What does it do ??? also , how do I set sensitivity to 6 and then turn the machine on ??? Sensitivity knob turns the machine on ..... TIA

OP
OP
john845

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It rained all day so I got some painting done in the house and fixed my Vaquero!! I called Tesoro last week and was told to send it in with a 50$ deposit. Being a little low on funds lately I decided to take a look at it. I was already sure it was a bad connection where the coil connect screws into the housing. I took a apart the connector and sure enough two wires broke where they were soldered to the pins. Not wanting to redo all the connections I spliced the wire back and soldered new wire unto the broken ones. I taped them up and resoldered them to the pins. Problem solved!!!!! I plugged the coil in before I put it back together and its nice and quiet again. I can't wait to get out tomorrow weather permitting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread