Low-frequency squealing sound

CaptainAhab

Jun 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!
Some time ago my son grabbed my metal detector and left for a short adventure in the woods but he told me about it afterwards. It was quite foggy and rainy that afternoon. When I turned the device on there was a low-frequency squealing sound, no reaction to metals, it would not turn off or stop squealing until the battery was removed. I took it home and opened it as much as possible. Then took a dryer and started to dry it. Surprisingly, the display turned on and the detector started to work properly so I put it together, checked the next morning and took it to the garage.
But a few days ago when I wanted to turn it on, the problem reappeared , so I did the drying again and it worked. But the problem doesn't disappeared. It is repeating all the time: I turn it up, dry it, it works, but after a few hours when pressing POWER button you can hear a squeal and then it switches on with a considerable delay. The next day after it is switched on you can only hear that low-frequency squeal which persists even when the detector switches on. Does anyone know what to do with it?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to Garrett!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call Garrett, I bet they will want you to send it in for service.

OliviaBond

Jul 22, 2020
San Jose
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like water has made it's way inside, as a result of wet weather conditions. Try to disassemble your metal detector and dry everything inside.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread