diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to build my own coil for a Garrett at pro

When it comes to electronics I'm fairly knowledgeable, I want to build my own coil for my Garrett at Pro, I'm wondering if the coil is very complicated or if it's basically just a spool of magnet wire? You can find the Garrett z-lynk adapters on eBay for pretty cheap, they're usually for headphones, I figure I could cannibalize one of these, wrap a spool of wire around an old fishing line plastic spool and then fill it with epoxy, solder the spool and adapter together, heat shrink the wire to the adapter and bam! Fry my $500 metal detector LOL. Is this is a bad idea?

OP
OP
diabolicalbeans

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After testing the coil I found continuity between the matching colors arrows in the picture below, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the detector to work using just 2 pins (attempting to use just one of the 2 D's in the DD coil)... Maybe this was due to the shape of the coil? Any ideas how or even IF I might be able to make a mono coil that would work with this detector?

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_154733.jpg
    IMG_20201219_154733.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 48

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans, it takes two hands to handle a Whopper, and it takes two coils to make an AT Pro work. As simple as it is in concept, building one ain't so easy. The Geotech forums have lots of info on coil building, geotech1.com/forums. Inside the Metal Detector is a book that explains all the fundamentals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread