whites surf PI DF- disassemble headphones?

flordaGuy

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2021
florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surf P.I. Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The sliders on my headphones cracked off, leaving the barb inserted into the ear cups.
I watched a video where a tech suggested pushing the barb into the interior of the ear cup, leaving it bouncing around inside.
I wanted to try and extract the barb: I drilled pilot hole then threaded a thin screw into the barb. I then used vicegrips on the screw head to try and pull out the screw+barb. While tightening the screw with a driver I accidentally pushed the barb+screw into the interior of the ear piece.
I now have barb+screw rattling around inside, heh.

I was hoping there was a way to disassemble the ear piece, I carefully removed the foam surround but it looks like the ear cup and black plastic surround are press fit together with no fasteners.
Is there any way to separate the black ear surround from the yellow ear cup so that I may extract the barb+screw?
Or am I going to need to fish out the screw using a magnetized metal rod and hopefully be able to pull it out?

Attached are pics of headphone with foam surround removed, also attached pic of control box showing what model i'm working with.

Cheers gentlemen!

Attachments

• surfPI_DF_Headphone.jpg
    surfPI_DF_Headphone.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 96
  • surfPI_DF.jpg
    surfPI_DF.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are two screws under the black speaker covers. I opened mine long ago as I didn’t want the piece rattling around either. I bought a replacement rubber piece and then the other one broke soon after. A bad design. I tried gluing the rubber using CA glue and a bit of baking powder. It may hold for awhile at least until I think of a more permanent solution. An opportunity for someone with a 3D printer…

OP
OP
F

flordaGuy

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2021
florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
By speaker covers I assume you mean that flat piece of untextured plastic that the ear pads are adhesed to?
Just wanting to make sure you arent talking about the spongy ear pads, I removed those as I did see in one video that screws were underneath the pads (on the peltor mod video, different brand of detector though)

If youre talking about the untextured plastic and/or inner textured plastic, is there an area to pry at to pop it off?

OP
OP
F

flordaGuy

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2021
florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Update: Problem solved

I used a small blade screwdriver to create a gap so that I could insert a slighter wider blade screw driver. I then gently rotated the blade left to right to twist apart the housing a bit. I removed blade and re-inserted along the seam and repeated until the adhesive broke free a bit. I could then spread the housing enough to allow the old barb to fall out. I didn't have to completely separate the housing, the top side adhesive is still intact, everything snaps back together tight and I cannot pull it apart by hand once I snapped it back together.
I did this to the other headphone as well just so I wouldn't have a barb kicking around inside making noise.

Attached pics, one showing the process and the other of the completed job. I think I routed the cables back to match the stock configuration, let me know if it looks wrong.
Note: Included pic of adhesive, kind of bad pic, the dried adhesive appears rough and isn't marring causing by screw driver.

Cheers fellas!

Attachments

• surfPI_DF_headphone_disassembly.jpg
    surfPI_DF_headphone_disassembly.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 93
  • surfPI_DF_headphone_reassembled.jpg
    surfPI_DF_headphone_reassembled.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 69

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread