Depth up to 3 feet and modifications

Lires

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2008
Hello treasure net forum members. I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions in regards to modifying a metal detector:

1. Could you please tell me which metal detector offers deeper range up to 3 feet? I am looking for an iron or copper box, approximately 5 x 10 inches in hard and occasionally with small stones soil. The box contains gold coins.

Someone suggested a White’s MXT as a good detector, but it cannot search in such depth. Other recommendations directed me to the 2-box TM808, and Gemini 3.

2. Do you know if it is possible to modify the above or any other metal detector to search deeper than the depth range set by the manufacturer?

3. Are there any electrical engineers who can modify metal detectors?

4. Are there any (military) mine detectors, which can search deeper than the commercial metal detectors? Are they available to civilians?

5. Are there any metal detectors, which can locate a metal (iron) box and give a different signal for the contents (gold)?

Thank you in advance for the information.
‘Lires’

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
For a metal object that size I would buy a Goldquest PI detector made by Eric Foster. It's under $1000 and was designed to be used with all the Minelab PI coils.

Randy

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
For an iron or copper box of that size I would think most decent detectors should hit it . I can also be
totally wrong . I wanted to pour cement around my well head so I dug down 3 feet to get below the
pitless adapter so I could replace the galvanized pipe adapter with a brass one . Didn't want the galvanized
fitting to rust away underneath the cement with no way to get to it . I also replaced a galvanized
coulpling about 18" - 24" from the well head with a brass coulpling . One day while goofing off with my
Time Ranger I decided to see if it would hit on the brass coulpling . It did , no problem . By the way
my well has plastic casing .

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
A White's TM-808 or a Discovery TF-900 should locate your box.
I don't know about mods to your detector, to make it detect that deep...sorry.

Timberwolf

OP
OP
L

Lires

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I shall read more on the two-box detectors and check for any tests that might be posted online. Lires

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I would go with a PI the are deeper than VLF detectors. I have used 2 box detectors such as the Gemini and am not impressed with them, unless you are looking for buried Chevys, A good PI such as the TDI or a Minelab 2100 would not have any trouble detecting a box that size at 3 ft. With a vlf would need a large coil and even then the results could be questionable.

minelab

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
AUDuke said:
I would go with a PI the are deeper than VLF detectors. I have used 2 box detectors such as the Gemini and am not impressed with them, unless you are looking for buried Chevys, A good PI such as the TDI or a Minelab 2100 would not have any trouble detecting a box that size at 3 ft. With a vlf would need a large coil and even then the results could be questionable.

minelab

I dug a 56- buick at 12' once it was hell to pinpoint!!!!!!

TESORO

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Buick's are easier to detect than Chevys, their bigger.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUDuke said:
Buick's are easier to detect than Chevys, they're bigger.
I set my machine to knock out most domestic cars and only dig the import stuff. :laughing7:

PAULWYO

Apr 18, 2009
Rock Springs , WY
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD 2200D
my SD2200 wil pick up silver at 40 inches i picked up 9 - 50lbs bags of coins that we burried at 40 inches to see if we could find them. We did without a problem in all metal

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

Most detectors of a quality should be able to pick up a box of that size, at that depth, without a problem :)

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions