Prism 4

Q

quickfinder

Whomever owns a Prism 4 Can you give me some advice. I,ve read the book on it, watched the tape supplied. I am a Engineer Tech..
I have about six years total mding.
Problem with this machine is I,ve yet to find a coin below 2" of dirt. I have worked all the usual places / parks ect that should produce. I,ve followed the instructions on the prism to a t. Tried low disc., hi disc' varying degrees of sensitivity. Machine runs quiet
on setups ' doesn,t jump around or beep alot. In otherwards setups sounds by the book.I,ve hunted probably 20 to 25 hrs with it so far and have found 3 dimes and 1 ring . All surface stuff/ 1 to 2" of soil.

Is it the machine or my learning curve? Appreciate any advice.

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked a Prizm 4 in my test area. It detects coins to 6" with no problem.

Seems to me you are experiencing one or more of three problems.

Nothing to find or nothing deep in the areas you hunted.
The soil in your area is extremely mineralized.
The detector has a serious problem.

Set the detector to max sensitivity, low disc and air test various US coins... You should be able to get a good audio/visual response at 6+ inches on the coins, more on larger denomination coins.

Really isn't a good way to tell how mineralized the soil is in your area short of having it analyzed. Bury a coin at about 4 inches in one of the parks you mention and see if the detector responds. Go back to your dealer and compare a new one with yours.

No much one can do about the lack of targets in an area. Find another area to hunt is about the only solution.

The answer to your post above; No, doesn't matter which way the cable is wound around the pole as either way will not affect the detectors electronics.

Hope this helps,
Ty

OP
OP
Q

quickfinder

TY,
thanks for your responce. I did rewind the coil to receiver box more evenly.

On a fresh dug buried quarter , Mach. does not detect at 6" but does detect at 4". Yet mach. had trouble identifying quarter.Hi sensitiviy= low disc. setting.

Got to go eat.

OP
OP
Q

quickfinder

from where I left off.

The machine in open air coil sweep detects all coins good at 6 to 7". I will go to some virgin areas to see how the Prism works in these areas before I decide to send to White,s for a ck. up. Also I will return to my buried quarter at a later time for a retry. This will give it awhile to halo a bit. We expect rain this weekend which may enhance this halo some.

I guess that,s about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread