Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I need help. A couple of years ago, I bought my Eagle Spectrum from E-Bay. I never adjusted any of the programs, and only used the factory preset coin program. For the three years I have been using this machine, I have found numerous coins, and have become very familiar with using it. All of a sudden, this year, the machine is not working the way it used to. In fact, I don't think its working right at all. I have been getting solid penny/dime hits, only to dig, and find the signal disappears, the signal changes to quarter, then nickel, then dollar, or have the signal be something should be discriminated, such as a big piece of iron or lead, etc. The machine used to register Indian head pennies as zinc pennies, and now all of sudden when I test on an Indian head, it either registers as a screwcap, or does not detect at all. I am still hunting the same spot I have hunted for the last three years, so I know its not a change in soil. The first couple of times out this year, I switched to the 6" coil. Could this cause my machine to not behave properly? Or is my machine toast?

Anthony

R

rvbvetter

Does it act the same way on both coils? If so, and you're sure it's not batterys or just a bad battery. Then, i wouldn't say it was neccesarily toast, but sounds like it's time for it to make a trip to Whites. Call them about it and see what they say. I've always had good experiences with them.
Any repair needed may not cost that much. Make sure the 2 contact prongs in the battery compartment are making good contact with the battery pack. And see if the prongs aren't bent or pressed back. If it was stored with the battery pack left in, the prongs might need to be pulled out a ways. Gently and not to far. Also look to see that the coil cable is plugged in correctly and screwed on snug. Good luck HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread