XLT OR DFX

R

rvbvetter

I would of thought somebody would have responded by now. I've never had the XLT and only have had my Dfx for 3 months. Before that a whites eagle. People seem to like their XLTs, and if they do everything a Dfx does, i'd go with the XLT. My 2 cents HH

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Didn't see this thread sooner.? I am far from an expert on MDing but I have to say that I am happy with my XLT. It is certainly more than where I am at right now.? ?Actually, I don't know what the real differences are, between these two models.? The DFX wasn't around when I bought the XLT.? If you have to have the top of the line, (I assume that is what the DFX is ???) than you might consider that.? What attracted me to the XLT was the display, discrimination, Identification of targets and the depth readout.? ?The DFX, as I understand, has all that also but if the price was a lot, I probably would have gone lower with the XLT.? I had enough to spend but probably couldn't have justified that much more.? ?

I have read some people who say the XLT is a difficult machine and has a big learning curve. I would imagine the DFX is similar in that respect.? ? ?I don't think that is true though.? You can read the first few pages of the manual and be going right away.? Start by using the presets. That is what I have been doing and I have been alternating between them trying to understand and experience the differences.? ?Most of my searching has been Jewelry Beach, Coin and Jewelry and recently, Relic.? ?There is a lot of power to the machine that I haven't realized yet but I am trying to get familiar with everything right now.? It is certainly something to grow into and with some reading of the rest of the manual, that may be where the learning curve might be.? ?But, if you are an average person starting out, take some time and just have fun.?

I figure, in time, I might try and create some custom programs.? ?While I haven't found a great deal of really good stuff, I have been finding my share.? ?I find coins, albeit new current modern ones, every time I go out.? ?All the other stuff, even some of the junk, keep everything interesting.? ?

See my other recent reply under Metal Detecting, "Newbie need advice" for some more comments that I had about my XLT and some pictures that I posted of some finds.? ?After reading the rest of that thread, my post may not have applied as much to him but maybe some of the effort can help you and others looking to make some Whites decisions.?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,15637.0.html?

TOWcritter

MXT! That's what I'm swinging. I'm no expert (7 months detecting) but the reason I bought the MXT was that the learning curve was shallow, not steep like the DFX and XLT.. I am more at ease with the knobs to adjust than 43 programs to scroll through or whatever they have. It works well for me. Good luck. My 2c.

Enrique

Greenie
Jun 27, 2005
Henryville, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Silver Saber Plus, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been MDing since 1983. All of my machines have been Whites, except for a SiverSaber that I got for use on the beach, way back in the day, due to it's light weight. My last machine was a 6000-DI Pro and am now swinging a DFX. I can't comment on the XLT since I've never used one, but the DFX I found is easy to use, the leaning curve isn't as hard as you'd think. It came with a instructional video. After watching the video and taking the machine out for a walk, using one of 6 programs, I was impressed. I came home watched the video again and created my own program. I've had my DFX now for 3yrs and am really happy with it.

R

RonWV

I am new to this hobby, but having used both (a friend has other) for almost a year we hunt together and compare in the field before we dig. The XLT is equal to any White's detector, and has standard programs that work as well as any custom programs I have tried. The XLT has a short learning curve, but experience and lots of time listening is necessary with it as with any detector. I tried both and would recommend the XLT, but please try both. I personally think each individual detector is different.

hubman

Greenie
Aug 24, 2005
i WOULD SUGGEST THAT IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE HOBBY TO GET THE ONE THAT IS THE EASSIEST TO USE WHITCH IS THE mxt. iF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED i WOULD WANT THE dfx BECAUSE IT WILL BEAT THE xlt IN THE HANDS OF SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE .i HAVE ALL OF THESE MACHINES . tHE ;mxt WILL GOE AS DEEP OR MAYBE EVEN DEEPER THAN THE dfx OR xlt BUT THE dfx HAS MUCH BETTER DISCRIMANATION THAN THE mxt. iF YOU ARE VERY EXPERIENCED AND HAVE LOTS OF PATIONCE TRY THE FISHER COINSTRIKE .iT WILL AMAZE YOU

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions