Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Came up with a brainstorm that actually produced a bit of rain.
One of the major drawbacks for me to using headphones is being tied to the detector. The cord is always snagging on something or other, and when you find a target and put the detector down to dig, you are still tied to the detector like an umbilical cord, and are faced with the prospect of either unpugging the headphones from the machine and taking them off so you can do periodical sweeps of the target hole unencumbered, or just remainn tied to the machine while you dig for the target.
I found a way to get out of that with gizmos I have laying around the house.
1st, you will need one of those little fm transmitters that are usually used to transmit audio from a little portable CD player to a home/mobile system. Mine is a 'iroc' and I payed about $25 for it a year ago at Circuit City.
There are numerous units to choose from - The cheapest you can find should suffice, but if you think you might be using it for more than just the detector, wouldn't hurt to get one of the pricier digital models.
This unit plugs into the detector [is battery operated of course] and transmits to any one of from 4 to a dozen fm stations.
I'll add here that you will mostly likely need an adapter so the 1/16th plug will fit the detectors 1/8th jack.
2nd, you will need something to receive this signal with.
I happened to have a mini MP3 player that receives fm also.
So, with the fm transmitter plugged into the detector, and with the micro fm received in my pocket & tuned to the frequency of the transmiter, headphones plugged into them, I can now receive the detectors alerts just fine without being tied to it in any way.
The little fm tuner is about the size and shape of a credit card.
Any battery operated fm tuner will work. Obviosuly, the smaller the better.
If you have, or are willing to buy, a pair of those wireless headphones with a fm tuner built in, you can become completely wireless.
But for me, just becoming untied to the machine was a major plus.
I field tested it today and it worked great. Alls I need in a velcro strap or something to secure the transmitter to the machine so it isn't dangling by the wire.
The fm tuner I had in my back pocket, with the headphone cord running down my back. I hardly knew it was there.
The only drawback so far is the audio of the beeps is a bit mushy - Something perhaps that a better pair of headphones with a wider dynamic range would take care of.

Attachments

• cordless2.jpg
    cordless2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 258

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread