Ace 250 sensitivity settings

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
Yes, another 250 question. Sorry about this but I guess most of us 250 users are probably newcomers and we will have a lot of questions and you folks sure have the experience. My question is, what exactly does the sensitivity setting do? I have had good luck with a setting of 4/8 on the scale and get good results most of the time pinpointing too, except in really wet soil. I would like to go deeper in a few areas that I have removed most of the hits to 3-4 inches and was wondering if increasing the sensitivity might do that or is it more of a "Ground Balance" thing? When the sensitivity is bumped up, I seem to get erratic behaviour like "No Target" in the hole, or poor pinpointing success. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.
Idaho PRB

Harley digs it

Jun 27, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Baa, this thing wouldn't let me post my responce the first time lol.

I new to the ace 250 as well. From what I've read and tested to get best depth go 8/8 on sens. all metal mode. Find your target, if target ID bounces around drop your sens till you get a consistent target ID. If you loose it when you drop your sens. then it might be a false target or multiple targets.

To dig or not to dig!

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi, sensitivity depends on soil conditions. I like to it as high as the ground conditions allow without falsing. I live in upstate NY and most places can run it at 5-6 bars. In playgrounds or beaches to need to lower it accordingly. I have never run it at 8 bars, it is completely nutso!!! Just learn to do what the machine needs to be productive. With practice you and the machine will know what each other needs ;D
HH
Greg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett manual says to think of sensitivity as depth. The higher the sensitivity, the deeper it will detect but.....Hah, there's always a but. If you are in an area where there is a lot of junk, a high sensitivity setting will make your unit go bonkers! I usually start out with the factory setting and then back off as necessary. Sometimes if I am reading a very weak signal, I'll turn it up just for that one target which often will cause it to lock in on the weaker signals. I generally wind up operating on about the fourth notch. JIM

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
I concur Jimmileo, I have saved myself much misery in digging false targets and inconsistant hits by using the Ace at 4 notches in sensitivity. 5 notches doesn't seem too much better, or worse either but 6 and up and it seems to lessen my accuracy in pinpointing and increases my false targets. I am digging a lot of targets that dont give me a great reading, just because I am afraid I might be missing something cool so I probably dig a lot more junk than I should. I just hate the thought of missing a ring or a deep dime. My "Coin Garden" has taught me that known "Good Stuff" can really give inconsistant readings that jump around a lot from the silver end of the scale to iron especially if the targets are 4" and deeper. I have noticed that my Ace 250 really likes to give a high pitch ring on rusty nails when the soil is really wet. Guess I should just run 4 bars when the soil is that wet. Thanks for the input everyone. I will continue to attent the school of metal detecting and keep you posted on my progress.
Idaho PRB

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read that the ACE 250 does not do well on wet soil like at a beach. I have noticed I get an occasional false reading when using mine in heavy wet grass from the morning dew. But, for the most part the little ACE is right on. JIM

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i like to stay at 4-5 bars myself,and sometimes use 6(in fields mostly).7 and 8 just go nuts with tons of false'n.
i heard both ways with wet ground.
mine i think gets a better "cleaner" in the early morning with all the dew.
HH
wing

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i set my sensativity different according to the spot i want to hunt. some spots i can get away with 6 or 7 bars in others i can only get 3 or 4. i think it has something to do with the type of soil you are trying to detect in.i will usually crank it up as high as i can get it before it starts falsing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread