Batteries

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
My new Tesoro Sandshark came with Panasonic AA Oxyrides, seems like high energy stuff. From what I read it puts out 1.7 volts and they seem to last awhile.

I've always got the cheapest bulk alkaline batteries I could find, usually in a 50 or 100 pack online, since my little ones have a few dozen devices between them that take those batteries. I have yet to run anything else through my Tesoro, i've been thinking perhaps I should stick with the Oxyrides?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyride_battery

Soo.. it got me to thinking what kind of AA batteries do you guys use in your detectors? Any preference for a brand or model and why? Is it better to have high drain or slow and steady drain batteries in something the likes of a metal detector? Would PI units have high drain characteristics that something like the Oxyrides would help with?

TIA!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
nudels, I always use regular Panasonic Alkaline batteries in all my detectors, and they always last great and work just fine. I've tried the digital high drain batteries and didn't notice any benefit at all. In fact, it seemed to me that the digital batteries didn't last as long as the regular alkaline!! That being said, I believe I would buy Panasonic, as most detectors come with them from the factory. Great hunting, Regards, skypilot02

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
You can buy rechargeable batteries for $1-$1.50 each in bulk that can be recharged 500-1,000 times. Really it saves so much money. There is no reason most detectors would function any better with something else. You don't need 1.5 volts or more per battery with most detectors. HH, George (MN)

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
I use rechargeable batteries in my PI PRO an can hunt all day 12 hours plus ,an still have a reading of 1.14 volts per battery.I have been using these batteries for over 2 years now an have never had them go dead on me.

berkshiregold

Nov 15, 2008
Berkshire County Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Energizer Rechargeable 2500mAh NiMH AA. Need a good charger also. They last quite a while before needing recharging. Just rotate two sets. Initial expense is a shock, but worth it.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
nudels said:
My new Tesoro Sandshark came with Panasonic AA Oxyrides, seems like high energy stuff. From what I read it puts out 1.7 volts and they seem to last awhile.

I've always got the cheapest bulk alkaline batteries I could find, usually in a 50 or 100 pack online, since my little ones have a few dozen devices between them that take those batteries. I have yet to run anything else through my Tesoro, i've been thinking perhaps I should stick with the Oxyrides?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyride_battery

Soo.. it got me to thinking what kind of AA batteries do you guys use in your detectors? Any preference for a brand or model and why? Is it better to have high drain or slow and steady drain batteries in something the likes of a metal detector? Would PI units have high drain characteristics that something like the Oxyrides would help with?

TIA!

With the quality of the rechargables out there now... what abuout those?? I have two boys.. 7 and 11// and EVERYTHING requires batteries... so i went completely rechargable on everything...over a year now and still going strong!!!

I have also been using rechargables in all my machines since they came out... no problems...

MB

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rayovacs are excellent if you dont want to use rechargeables.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread