CZ-5 is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Hope you folks don't mind I also posted this in anythin else! This is a terrible experience for me.I switched from white's(25 years) to fisher because I thought that I would be upgrading and getting more depth.The town I live in was a pipeshop foundry town and the soil is loaded with iron ore and low spots in peoples yards and the parks have pipeshop soil used for fill.Below you will find my problem.Do I have a problem with my detector or do I have a problem with fisher machine.Guys,I'm not cutting fisher,I just want to solve my problem.

I purchased a new CZ-5 in February of this year.I've had to send it back to factory once already.They say it had a broken connector at the coil.The parks and some yards around here were filled in with pipeshop soil,small bits of iron and iron slag.I just came back from and 1872 yard that I've tried to detect a couple of times.Although I found a 1934 mercury dime and a coupls of pennies lying on top of the ground I can't find any coins with my detector.After trying with discrimanation on 4 and sens on 2 and my detector sounding like a machine I decided to try disc on 6(coins only) and sensitivity on 1.I would still get multiple high tone signals on every swing.I'm talking 3,4,5 high tones to each swing.I don't think that this is right.I feel that my detector is malfunctiong,but I don't have anyone close by to compare how the detector is function.Any ideas,please.P.S. Its impossible to pinpoint with.I have 20 years experience with a white 6000 di series 2 and it never gave this problem in these type soil conditions.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I've only used my cz5 a few times,but it certainly didn't respond like you described.The cz5 is suppose to be a real sought after unit.Mine air-test to 14in on a quarter size token.Go to this website and scroll down on the left to the fisher site.Those guys should be able to help.Goodluck

www.thetreasuredepot.com

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an older CZ6 and have a big problem with small nails. It is otherwise a very good detector especially for coins that are within its discrim range. (approximately 6-7" in our neutral soil), but when the coin gets much deeper than that, even a silver coin will give an occasional low tone. I tried switching to a larger (10") coil hoping that might help. I was able to get a little more depth, but it also made pinpointing shallow targets more difficult.
Judging from your description of the site, I would say that it is the soil conditions and not the detector. Try digging only targets that consistently read high. You may not find all the old coins that are lurking in that iron rich soil, but it should tell you if the detector is working properly. I usually hunt so that all signals are detected, and then only dig the ones that have a repeatable high tone.

Good luck!

R

rvbvetter

I've never owned a fisher, but have heard they are hot on small rusted nails and bits of iron(hard to discriminate out) I think slag would fall into that class. If you still have your whites, i'd try the same spot and see how it fares on finds. Also, and probably a long shot, you might be getting electrical interference from a nearby power source, that the fisher is more susceptable to than your whites. Try turning your sensetivity down, and see if it stabilizes and /or improves. Best of luck on it. HH

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there Dixie! Don't give up on the CZ-5, I had one for 4-5 yrs and loved it. And don't let the coil connector problem turn you against it. I replaced the Fisher with a Whites and the Whites came from the factory with a coil connector issue (mine was at the control box end). Anyway, IT drove ME crazy for a few weeks with really off the wall signals until I figured out the problem. Both brands are good machines. As you noted, you have challenging soil conditions in the area...that's why that part of the state grew such huge foundries (I used to live near Birmingham). I'd recommend taking the machine on your next trip to LA (Lower Alabama) where the conditions are much different and see what happens. By the way, I hardly ever used my CZ-5 with other than the "preset" markings on the dials and ended up finding enough clad in 4.5 years to pay for it. None of this may help your problem but maybe I've given you a bit of moral support <smile>.

HH,

Batch

OP
OP
downindixie

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
From all the info you guys are giving me I have to assume that my problem is soil conditions and therefore the cz-5 is not the right machine for this area.I really wanted this machine because of all the good things I read about it.I guess that I will get my old 6000 reworked and use it. Thanks folks.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the ground balance is screwed up to me. Can you manually ground balance the machine? Might help if you can. JIM

greggww

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Richardson Tx.
I have never hunted in your part of the country but have hunted with a CZ in similar souning lots. I reccomend turning the sensitivity ALL the way down...it will still give good depth and go w/ a 5" coil if you have one available. The lower sensitivity will reduce the falsing on iron and as you use the machine more you will be able to increase it and be able to better recognise the false signals. HH Gregg

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my CZ I do get aggravated because of small rusty nails and such but the longer I use it the better I can guess the "maybe" signals. Trashy areas will also make it go nuts but I have found more with my CZ 5 than all my other machines together,mostly because the ease of use, plus good performance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread