Prizm Question and SignaGraph Question

Mary Jones

Jul 26, 2005
I am a newbie about to buy my first metal detector. Kindly allow me two questions:
1) I read a lot about how good the Prizm IV and Prizm V are supposed to be, but has anyone had (or heard about) any chronic problems with these detectors?
2) More expensive models have the SignaGraph feature which, as I understand it, shows you what the detector has located. Would it show an image of a small piece of flat aluminum foil for example, or the image of an aluminum pull tab which would be clearly recognized?
Thank you for your kindness and helping me.
Mary Jones

D

detector77

Hi Mary.
Your best bet is whites.com they answer any questions and you can download the manuals on most detectors they make. I have a Spectrum XLT, the signagraph is used in conjunction with vdi numbers and icons as well, but the graph is really the most important id resolver, always look for single or a small number of grouped bars in the range of the vdi number displayed, a scattered pattern is usually an irregular iron or just an iron item, pull tabs are usually just what the machine says it is, however watch for specific vdi numbers in that range for possible rings, and any deep tab reading you may want to dig it anyway, could be a ring. the combination on the XLT for identification purposes is a sure winner, and very accurate.

hexwrench

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2005
Mary: I have a Whites IDX Pro and a Whites Prizm III. Both are pretty good at ID on coins. The Prizm III has a depth indicator, the old IDX does not. My friend has a Whites DFX which I borrowed for a few days before I got my 2 machines. I found the IDX and the Prizm on eBay, both used and in good condition which fit my budget. Maybe one day I will upgrade, but I've been using the IDX and the wife has been using the Prizm and we are both finding stuff in local parks as we learn to use them.

I tried a Garrett Ace 250 at a dealer and the bongy tones coming from it were overly loud and an annoying pitch for me. That machine would drive me crazy in a short time.

I don't see myself needing the Signagraph or VDI numbers for a while yet. Just starting out, I'm running the discrimination at a minimum and digging a lot. I'm surprised at the amount of stuff I'm getting even in local parks that are hunted a lot. A lot of clad coins and some tokens and small toys. No silver yet, but these parks are not that old.

The DFX I borrowed was heavier, and more machine than I need or can afford right now. I think you would like the Prizms and maybe even an IDX, as these are all "turn on and go" simple units, unlike the DFX which has a bewildering amount of adjustments available.

- Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread