Fishing With A Magnet

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
Saw a joke on another board about a blonde that went fishing with a magnet. She thought she could catch some steelhead trout. ;)

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
I've done some of this thru the last three summers at a fairly large lake a few miles from where I live. I have been going to the same boat launching ramp because I always find something. A lot of fishing equipment and accessories for boats. One time I threw my magnet out to the extent of the rope, about 30-35 feet. Drew back an empty rope. My knot had come untied. So the next day I took a piece of junk iron weighing about two pounds and tied it to my rope and covered the place where my magnet had come off. On the third or fourth try there was my magnet stuck to the iron piece. I guess that's called reverse magnet fishing.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Welcome Jondar! How big of a magnet were you using? What kinds of things have you found? smart thinking on that reverse magnet fishing technique :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jondar said:
I've done some of this thru the last three summers at a fairly large lake a few miles from where I live. I have been going to the same boat launching ramp because I always find something. A lot of fishing equipment and accessories for boats. One time I threw my magnet out to the extent of the rope, about 30-35 feet. Drew back an empty rope. My knot had come untied. So the next day I took a piece of junk iron weighing about two pounds and tied it to my rope and covered the place where my magnet had come off. On the third or fourth try there was my magnet stuck to the iron piece. I guess that's called reverse magnet fishing.
Very cool.That's smart thinking.I'm sure not everybody would've thought to do that.Good old common sense,I like it.Aren't some Canadian coins magnetic?

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Very cool.That's smart thinking.I'm sure not everybody would've thought to do that.Good old common sense,I like it.Aren't some Canadian coins magnetic?

When most people think of magnetic, they think of iron. However, nickel is also magnetic. I don't know i if it's still true, but there was a time when Canadian nickels were made of nickel.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a fountain in Windsor that has many coins laying on the bottom. I always wanted to toss a fishing magnet in there for the Canadian coins.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mines in the mail jake 250# pull harbor freight

LowRider

Greenie
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia
I have a 250 pound pull that I gut from Harbor Freight for $13. It has an eyelet on it you can tie a rope or chain on. In Florida and other places they are used of bridges to haul up lots of guns that were thrown of the bridge. I use mine to get rid of surface trash. Be sure you wrap it in a plastic baggie or something like that to facilitate remove oh what you find. Strong magnets will attract small iron particle that are imposible to get off and small objects are near impossible to get off. The baggie you just turn it inside out and pull everything off in one move and is bagged for disposale.

Mike

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dekalb33 said:
mines in the mail jake 250# pull harbor freight
ditto,i'll fill you in after I try it down here. Lowrider,thanks for the tip with the baggie.
LowRider said:
I have a 250 pound pull that I gut from Harbor Freight for $13. It has an eyelet on it you can tie a rope or chain on. In Florida and other places they are used of bridges to haul up lots of guns that were thrown of the bridge. I use mine to get rid of surface trash. Be sure you wrap it in a plastic baggie or something like that to facilitate remove oh what you find. Strong magnets will attract small iron particle that are imposible to get off and small objects are near impossible to get off. The baggie you just turn it inside out and pull everything off in one move and is bagged for disposale.

Mike

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Just started reading this. Sounds interesting. A couple words of caution though. When using these magnets, one might want to make sure they are not wearing their watch or carrying credit cards etc. Magnetic tape like audio and video tapes can also be turned into trash. Just don't be careless and put the magnet in the same bag as your camcorder or your wallet. Don't be wearing your watch while using it. Some electronic watches can be destroyed with magnets.

I remember working in a radio station years ago and people ruining many watches while erasing tapes. Grab the tape with the hand with your watch and wave it and your watch over the degausser (???) (Eraser) and zap.

Will have to think of this. I have seen some decent magnets at Home Depot and the hardware store, I think. They have a little loop shank on them that you can tie a rope or hook a chain to. I just wouldn't expect to find anything too valuable though as jewelry and coins... won't generally stick to a magnet.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice.I got mine in a few weeks ago.I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet though.I don't expect to find anything of value,just figured it would give me something to do the next time i'm bridge fishing and the fish aren't biting. :) I'll probably pull up a grocery cart or something! ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=JakePhelps ]
thats why chain is better than rope, no knots that can come undone of fray.
DUH! Jake my friend, and just what would be the relationship between the magnet and the metallic chain?

CLUNK!!! and a mess to untangle.

Stick to synthetic lines of sufficient strength.

Tropical Tramp

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cought a catfish once with one...Had a metal taste to it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread